• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bellhousing differences

dodge68charger

Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
I got my transmission bolted up to the engine and its ready to bolt it but i read last night that a 10.5 inch clutch assembly wont work with an 11 inch housing? Im not sure what size bellhousing i have . Is there any way to tell what size and style bellhousing i have without ripping everything apart.

Aluminum or cast bell? I don't believe any 11s are aluminum.
Short of pulling the trans back you might try to gauge the starter engagement location with respect to the ring gear. An 11" housing starter boss will be out outward from a 10-1/2" housing I believe.

Cast housing. Do you have any pics of the outward starter bosses. Thank you

An 11 here.............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-Mo...2892262-Charger-GTX-Road-Runner-/271854841918

Aluminum 10.5 here..............

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?10176-70-74-Aluminum-Big-block-bellhousing

Hard to see difference from pictures. I'm thinking the 11" would be about .250" further out.

I'd try a tube that will slide into the housing boss of the one I have and try to determine how close the starter teeth will be in relation to the ring gear.

Try to get a measurement from the center of the tube to the "root" of the ring gear teeth. Compare that to your starter gear centerline to the outside diameter of the teeth.
Housingmeasure.gif

Measure the distance between the two outer bolt holes for the inspection cover at the rear of the bell. Transmission side. That measurement should give you your answer.

I got off work early and went straight to the shop and pulled the transmission back enough to get a mirror and flashlight in there. The number looks like it reads 2488372, brewers site has a 2468372 and its a 10.5 inch housing. I have a 143 tooth flywheel and an 11 inch clutch assembly.. I gotta find a bellhousing for a 68 big block charger with a 440..

Have you tried installing the starter? The 11" flywheel will fit in the 10.5" Bell housing but you will not be able to install the starter.

I had to grind the block a bit but i got the starter to fit. Just worried if i go to a bigger bellhousing the starter wont fit. Its 1/4 inch away from the headers.

- - - Updated - - -

Do i need to worry about any clearance issues in the bellhousing

Get a Cast iron 11"Bell Housing and you will be good. 67-68 2892262. They are hard to find. Remember if it is cast, it is 11"., and uses the 143 tooth flywheel. Aluminum is 10.5, and 130 tooth. Chrysler made only two lengths of starter. Most if not all Big blocks accommodate both. But, the small block won't.(there is a support bracket on the driver side that blocks the longer starter from being Installed properly).

What are you using for a starter? The standard Mopar starter should require no grinding of the block to fit eather bellhousing. As stated before the 11" flywheel in a 10.5 bellhousing the starter will not clear the flywheel to allow the starter drive nose to seat into the bellllhousing. If using a 10.5" flywheel and a 11" bellhousing the starter drive will not engage the flywheel.

a 2468372 is a 10.5 Cast bell housing, but fits a 1965 413-426. Maybe you didn't read the number correctly? 2488372 doesn't exist. 68' Chargers never used that Bell Housing.
I got off work early and went straight to the shop and pulled the transmission back enough to get a mirror and flashlight in there. The number looks like it reads 2488372, brewers site has a 2468372 and its a 10.5 inch housing. I have a 143 tooth flywheel and an 11 inch clutch assembly.. I gotta find a bellhousing for a 68 big block charger with a 440..

Was probably a bit off on the 6 and 8. Read it off a mirror and bellhousing was painted. I havent been able to look up a definite answer on why the 10.5 inch bellhousing wont fit on with an 11 inch clutch assembley. The bellhousing bolted on just fine and i grinded the block so the starter fits. Clearance issues?

- - - Updated - - -

Want to make sure everything lines up though and do it properly. I ll try and find a 2892262 housing. Hopefully it clears the headers:(

You say the starter fits, did you try turning over the engine ?
My understanding is 10.5 inch bell needs 10.5 130 tooth flywheel and 11inch bell needs 11 inch 143 toothh flywheel, or the starter won't engage.

I have everything mocked up but hard to tell if the starter will engage. Dont want to take a chance. I do have a 143 tooth flywheel and powermaster starter for it and the starter was a pain to install to make fit. I dont want to redo it if the engines actually in the car.

Just curious why a 68 and 69 b body big block 11 inch bellhousing would be different from eachother. There are two different numbers on the brewers website and both for 143 tooth flywheels. Werent b bodys built on the same platform? I have a 2892626 bellhousing in my parts bin i found this afternoon for a 69 b body with 11 inch housing and will fit 143 tooth flywheel

The 1968-69 11' is always a Cast bellhousing. The 2892262(68) and the 2892626 are the same Bell Housing. Chrysler chose to change the number.

Auto Transport Service
Back