• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench testing my wiper motor

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
Before I pull the trigger on a rebuilt unit I should at least bench test some of the cores I have on hand.
My vehicle is a 1970 Coronet.
My question is, what pins do I apply power to. I don’t want to just randomly apply voltage. Also, these are two speed, (I think) does the speed vary according to which pins I apply power to or do I vary the voltage?

(1) Disconnect motor leads at bulkhead disconnect. Connect jumper wire from battery positive terminal to brown and red leads in bulkhead disconnect. Connect a second jumper from the green lead to ground. (The ground circuit is completed through the car body). The motor should run continuously. Disconnect leads.

(2) Connect jumper wire from green lead to brown lead. Connect red lead to ground. Connect third jumper wire from battery positive terminal to blue lead. The wiper should run to the park position.
EDIT: THIS IS FOR A 3 SPEED MOTOR. I JUST NOTICED YOU ARE WORKING ON A 2 SPEED.
I'll see if I can find the bench test for the 2 speed

2SpeedTerminalIdentification.jpg

Use a battery or battery charger for this procedure.

Connect ground from battery or negative post of charger to brass ground strap on wiper motor.

Jump the P2 terminal to the ground.

Connect 12v positive to H terminal. Motor should run on high speed.

Connect the L terminal to the resistor and positive to the other side of the resistor, motor should run on Low speed.

Now, remove the ground from the P2 terminal and ground the L terminal and jumper positive to P1 and the motor should park.

Thank you all! Well, I did a lot to this thing and learned a lot about it.
I did the basic test as outlined above. The motor ran fine. Not content to leave well enough alone I drilled the rivets, and disassembled and cleaned the gears, cam, and switch. I then added new grease, riveted it back together, and painted it. Works slick.
One wiper pivot was locked solid.
I mean solid. So I put the torch to it until it was HOT. That freed it up but can’t have done the grease any good. So I drilled a small hole and put a zerk fitting in. Pumped it full of grease until clean grease came out. Works slick, also.
It and my car will never be concours perfect, but I’ll know how it all works.

Auto Transport Service
Back