• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best 11" front drum rebuild kit?

jmbass98

Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Front brakes are starting to wear a bit. Figured I'd just rebuild them entirely. Anyone out there make kits - shoes, springs, and cylinders pre-assembled onto backing plates for easier installation? Thanks.

No such luck.
I went through this last year on mine and handicapped myself that I insisted that all parts be
USA-made (try that neat trick now!).
My thread on that:
DRUM Brake Overhaul - Now, for something totally different...
(Hint: I spent a few weeks rounding up new - yet by necessity old stock - USA-made parts, one by one as I was
able to find them at various sources out there - and I'd bet some of what I got, there is simply no more of out there).

For the most part, anything out there is foreign-made (a few exceptions on individual components)
and shoe selection especially is truly sad - unless you fetch them from either of these folks:
Muscle Car Brakes
Porterfield Brakes Official Site - Racing Brake Pads and Brake Shoes
Porterfield actually makes the shoes to order, in your choice of either "race" or "aggressive as hell street" compounds
(not knowing for a fact, but I strongly suspect they also make the shoes offered in the musclecarbrakes kits as well).
I have their shoes on Fred the GTX and can attest to their good customer service AND the quality of the product.

Oh - and of course, there's always NOS stuff. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if one of our forums' resident "sniper vendors"
doesn't pop in here and offer his wares - he's good at that, yet refuses to never a)become a sponsor of the site or b)
use "For Sale" ads on here, for whatever reasons.

But on the plates, ready to rock? Naw.

No such luck.
I went through this last year on mine and handicapped myself that I insisted that all parts be
USA-made (try that neat trick now!).
My thread on that:
DRUM Brake Overhaul - Now, for something totally different...
(Hint: I spent a few weeks rounding up new - yet by necessity old stock - USA-made parts, one by one as I was
able to find them at various sources out there - and I'd bet some of what I got, there is simply no more of out there).

For the most part, anything out there is foreign-made (a few exceptions on individual components)
and shoe selection especially is truly sad - unless you fetch them from either of these folks:
Muscle Car Brakes
Porterfield Brakes Official Site - Racing Brake Pads and Brake Shoes
Porterfield actually makes the shoes to order, in your choice of either "race" or "aggressive as hell street" compounds
(not knowing for a fact, but I strongly suspect they also make the shoes offered in the musclecarbrakes kits as well).
I have their shoes on Fred the GTX and can attest to their good customer service AND the quality of the product.

Oh - and of course, there's always NOS stuff. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if one of our forums' resident "sniper vendors"
doesn't pop in here and offer his wares - he's good at that, yet refuses to never a)become a sponsor of the site or b)
use "For Sale" ads on here, for whatever reasons.

But on the plates, ready to rock? Naw.

Thanks Ed, for sharing this info; especially about these two sources for brake parts for our rides.

Ragnar in Iceland

Auto Transport Service
Back