• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best aftermarket Power Steering PUMP with reservoir

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
I've upgraded everything else for the steering setup on my car, but I'm still running the original Federal round neck power steering pump. All I did was replace the reservoir seal. I know if I want better performance that the Saginaw pump is supposed to be an upgrade over the Federal pump if I want to do the stock route. (banjo reservoir better than the ham can reservoir Saginaw?)

But what about an aftermarket upgrade with the correct pulleys to go with it? I have a '68 Satellite and am building a 400 block based 451 with A/C. Is there a great aftermarket power steering PUMP with pulley and reservoir that will bolt right on and work better than an earlier Saginaw (or at least be more long term reliable)?

I don't have a specific answer for you- but some "gotcha's" you might watch out for. I'm swapping a Sag in place of the Fed right now, and I found that the 1) the re-man pump (with reservoir) I bought had the return line bent kind of funny. Leads to un-clean line routing... 2) the fitting on my gear box did not match the fitting on the pressure line for this setup (1/4" for my '67, apparently 5/16" for '68 and later). 3) Make sure you get a pulley that is the right width (narrow V or wide V) for your crank pulley. There are lots of Sag variations out there...

As for benefits of the Sag- more easily adjustable and replaceable. That's all I know. I only replaced mine because the Fed went south... You'll need brackets, of course, too...

If anyone has any concrete benefits, I'd be interested in hearing it too.

Auto Transport Service
Back