• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Cobble Jobs Ever!!

Propwash

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Seen some recent posts on here pointing out the wonderful cobble jobs they've run into on their cars.

When you're not the one dealing with them, it's always entertaining to sit back and humorously ponder the exquisite creative engineering, at one point someone thought was a great idea...

I got a couple............

When I picked up my Coronet, instead of it's normal fuel system it had a Folgers coffee can tie strapped to the radiator wall with a hose running to the fuel pump because the gas tank was gone.........Brilliant!

Had a cousin pick up a Ford Falcon that had a Vise grip welded to the stub on the steering column because the wheel was missing. Even had an old dresser knob tac'd in place for a suicide knob........Great Job Macgyver!

Sister bought a Ford Fairmont that always reeked like exhaust while driving it down the road. Bad exhaust manifold??? Not bolted up right??? Not quite. Turns out the prior owner had cut two round 12" holes in the back floor pans he use to Ice Fish through and just tossed a piece of tin under the floor mats when he wasn't on the lake getting tanked jigging for perch....Now that's what I call vehicle options!

Let's hear what you guys got........................

I got one DOH!!!!!!:eusa_wall::eusa_wall:

IMGP1649 (Small).JPG

Those of us dealing with cowl issues can appreciate this one. Does the blue silicone act as a sealer, a water-repellent, or just add "flexibility"?

Boy,this thread could get interesting...

100_1890.jpg

I'll neither declare victory or concede in defeat;I'm sure there's more fine examples waiting to be unveiled. Which means:
:worthless_thread:

I think I can tell there are some waves in that filler, you should spray some guide coat to be sure.

My 55 Buick had no fuel pump. It did have a glass washer resevoir, which I filled with gas, and used the washer punp, conveinently, a foot pump, to squirt some into the carb bowl every 45 seconds or so. It also had no master cylinder, so there were vise-grips on the parking brake release, so it wouldn't lock, and I used that on the rear wheels only.

Drove it to HS a couple of times that way, about 5 miles one way, but partly on a 55 MPH 4 lane RD.

YIKES!!!

My 55 Buick had no fuel pump. It did have a glass washer resevoir, which I filled with gas, and used the washer punp, conveinently, a foot pump, to squirt some into the carb bowl every 45 seconds or so. It also had no master cylinder, so there were vise-grips on the parking brake release, so it wouldn't lock, and I used that on the rear wheels only.

Drove it to HS a couple of times that way, about 5 miles one way, but partly on a 55 MPH 4 lane RD.

YIKES!!!

Whoa!! Been there, done that.

First year at community college, on my way from home to a class my master cyl let go and I did the same thing, tied the brake release handle to the seat frame with a piece of clothesline. Got me to school and back. Fixed it that night. Couldn't do that with any of these new cars where you have to press the parking brake pedal down a second time to release.

I saw a 70 Demon that had the inner fenders held on with barn door style hinges...One half of the hinge welded to the inner fender the other half welded to the cowl/fire wall.I wish I had taken pic's...
My buds 72 Satellite had the leaf springs held together with gear clamps and nothing else.
My cheep brother in-law painted his car with tremclad and a roller and used soup cans to fix his exhaust lol

I saw a 70 Demon that had the inner fenders held on with barn door style hinges...One half of the hinge welded to the inner fender the other half welded to the cowl/fire wall.I wish I had taken pic's...

That's hilarious.....

I once had to rip out 7 feet of speaker wire and tie it to the arm on the carb to use for throttle after the little swedge on the throttle cable by the pedal popped off.. Made it back to town and wouldn't you know it, a cop pulls up next to me and gazes at the speaker wire wrapped around my fist and running under the hood. He just looked at me, shook his head and peeled off.

That's hilarious.....

I once had to rip out 7 feet of speaker wire and tie it to the arm on the carb to use for throttle after the little swedge on the throttle cable by the pedal popped off.. Made it back to town and wouldn't you know it, a cop pulls up next to me and gazes at the speaker wire wrapped around my fist and running under the hood. He just looked at me, shook his head and peeled off.

That's amazing!! My buddy in HS had the same thing happen and all he had was a soldering iron with him so he tied the cord to the carb lever and ran the wire under the hood, etc.... Great minds think alike!!!

I like the vice grip steering wheel story too! Another one of my buddies did exactly that!!! Geez, this thread is like de ja vu!!

LOL! Man....and I was thinking I was some kind of genius. Ah well, back to being plain old dumbass again...:sad11:

Is there some kind of Jimmy Rig 101 book out there? Crazy stuff

OK, I have some of my own. Not sure if it qualifies as a cobble job, but along the lines of the speaker wire throttle cable I suppose it's survival - or just plain 'ol stubbornness that says "I'm not walking"!

I had a 70 bug that I used to commute in and one morning on the way to work I was pushing the limit on the gas gauge, knowing there was a station at my exit but I didn't quite make it. I ran out of gas on the off ramp. So in the spirit of "I'm not walkin" I put it in first and drove on the starter motor. Since that was going very well I figured why not make a good thing better so I ran through the gears while holding the key in crank mode (a good trick since I was kind of short on hands). I will say you can run a bug on the starter in second but third is too tall. At some point during this extravaganza the road changed and the car found gas and started and I drove a few hundred feet to the station!

Another episode in the same car I had to do some emergency repairs to the head studs because they were pulling out of the case, which causes the heads to loose the seal to the cylinder. This problem is identified by a loud popping during acceleration. I finally got tired of this after a couple of months so on the way home from work one eve I pulled in to my shop and without hesitation or allowing anything to cool, I dropped the engine down just enough to get the head and cylinders off that side, drill the case for an insert and put it all back together and have it ready to drive home 2 hrs later. Only on a Volkswagen can you do such a major repair this quickly and only on a Volkswagen it may be necessary to do such a repair.

Ok....My friend and I were cleaning up his frame and took away all the puddy to find:>>

I realize this is FBBo - but couldnt resist showing u guys what a rusted up Nissan pathfinder could have in store besides its great 4x4-ing abillity..and this vehicle was safety certified...ouch.. Glad we reinforced it and made his frame almost whole again
...yikes

Auto Transport Service
Back