• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best DMV experience I ever had

T2R9

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Went in to DMV to title my 74 Charger with a NY title signed in 2015 by the seller and a CT bill of sale from who I bought it from in 2018. OK I am thinking I am go to get a hassell about the open title and time frame. I filled out the title app with the seller's name, address etc. and handed the lady the paperwork. She looked at the title, said fill this out and date it to match the seller's date. Pushed back the bill of sale and used white out on the title application including the date and looked at me and said "You bought it from him on this date". Ok I changed the app to the name and address on the title. She summed up the charges and said "Hey you bought it in 2015, that saves you $200". The sales tax went up last year from $300 to $500. Handed me my registration and off I went.

As I walked out the door I was thinking that just did not really happen. I love South carolina!

I went from dealing with DMV’s in Chicago which I am convinced are the worst. To Indiana BMV, first time I went there I thanked all the ladies working there for being friendly and great st their jobs. All desks were filled with employees and 2 supervisors on stand by behind them Incase an issue arises it gets solved quickly.

Good deal... 13 years of back fees on my car when I went to register it, (CA) lots of internet talk about modified old cars and inspections this and that.. I went into a crowded DMV, was there only 35 minutes, wrote them a check and they handed me my tags no hassle whatsoever..yeah happy dance

A good time at the DMV means being in and out in 5 minutes and putting tags on your vehicle afterwards.

I've had it happen only once. Rest of the time, plan for nothing else the rest of the afternoon.

When I go to the Rhode Island registry,I plan on a six hour adventure! If you are lucky enough to get out in that amount of time,you will have learned that english really is a second language! They charge sales tax on restored values on classic cars,and you have to fight them to get a refund after having the car appraised by a state licensed appraiser! But their new computer system that can barely process a registration in that amount of time,knows to cancel your registration,if you let your insurance or inspection lapse by a day,and automatically fine you accordingly! It also suspends your registrations,license,and the ability to renew them.

Oh and this computer system costs 400 million dollars in tax payer money,and took over ten years to make it work,to serve us better!

Went in to DMV to title my 74 Charger with a NY title signed in 2015 by the seller and a CT bill of sale from who I bought it from in 2018. OK I am thinking I am go to get a hassell about the open title and time frame. I filled out the title app with the seller's name, address etc. and handed the lady the paperwork. She looked at the title, said fill this out and date it to match the seller's date. Pushed back the bill of sale and used white out on the title application including the date and looked at me and said "You bought it from him on this date". Ok I changed the app to the name and address on the title. She summed up the charges and said "Hey you bought it in 2015, that saves you $200". The sales tax went up last year from $300 to $500. Handed me my registration and off I went.

As I walked out the door I was thinking that just did not really happen. I love South carolina!

That would NEVER happen in Massachusetts.

When I go to the Rhode Island registry,I plan on a six hour adventure! If you are lucky enough to get out in that amount of time,you will have learned that english really is a second language! They charge sales tax on restored values on classic cars,and you have to fight them to get a refund after having the car appraised by a state licensed appraiser! But their new computer system that can barely process a registration in that amount of time,knows to cancel your registration,if you let your insurance or inspection lapse by a day,and automatically fine you accordingly! It also suspends your registrations,license,and the ability to renew them.

I had no idea that RI was as bad as MA.

Thread title told me you did not go to the Alma Avenue location in San Jose. Lucky if you can park ANYWHERE or get around the Taco truck.

When I went to my first base with my car (1972 Chevelle), my car was titled in my brother’s name in PA. (In PA, you needed to have car insurance before they were allowed to sell you a car at a dealership, so we put the title in my older brother’s name.). So when it was time to renew the tags, I was down in Georgia. A coworker suggested that I go down to the courthouse and see if they would just give me a temporary tag until I could straighten out the mess with the PA title. Well, the nice young lady at the courthouse said “just get a Georgia title for it”. After I explained how the car was mine but the title said it was my brother’s she said no problem and proceeded to fill out the new title form in my name - cost was $20. Wow! I guess that I could have stolen a car and got a new title there too?

I've had good results at the court house annex here which is less than 1/2 mile from my home but don't think what happened there would ever happen here lol A few years back they closed it when a new office was opened in Little Mexico 10 miles away. That place took forever and was always over crowded and Spanish was for sure the first language. I started going to another office that was almost 20 miles away because it was much more organized, English was the first language and even with the longer driving time, it still was much faster to go there. Well, I guess more people complained besides me because they reopened the court house annex office and now things are good again! Actually, things are better! The new office in LM remained open so now both are very seldom crowded except for the last week of the month and the first week of the new month and even then, it's usually no more than a 30 minute wait. Imo, one office wasn't enough for this town of 150k people.....

Auto Transport Service
Back