• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Epoxy For Steel?

The Rebel

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Was drilling out a frozen bolt and the welded nut came off the upper cross bar.

What's the best material to use that will allow me to tighten the bolt & nut without the nut spinning? I can hold the nut with a wrench while tightening the bolt with a ratchet to get the job done but would still like to set the nut in place anyhow.

I don't have a torch or welder so need the next best thing to use. JB Weld Epoxy, JB Weld Steel Stick, something else?

Hey guys. Was drilling out a frozen bolt and the welded nut came off the upper cross bar.

What's the best material to use that will allow me to tighten the bolt & nut without the nut spinning? I can hold the nut with a wrench while tightening the bolt with a ratchet to get the job done but would still like to set the nut in place anyhow.

I don't have a torch or welder so need the next best thing to use. JB Weld Epoxy, JB Weld Steel Stick, something else?
You didn't mention what size of bolt/nut. but one thing that you can do is drill a little larger hole 3/8" away from it and slide a J nut over your original hole. works pretty good.

use a threaded insert and forget the nut.

I don't think any epoxy will work in this application.
If you can get a wrench to it that's probably the best fix.

Here you go. It attaches the fender to the upper crossbar. The nut is welded to the lip on the fender.

Yea, I had a feeling that tightening everything up would be too much pressure for the expoy/glue.

upload_2019-2-3_8-4-35.png

:xscuseless:

Whereabouts is said nut and bolt?

If it’s a Tee nut or pierce nut a little epoxy will hold it in the sheet metal. JB is fine but if it’s a nut that sits on top of the sheetmetal I would worry about it. Epoxy will shear off rather quick.

3M panel bond is my go-to epoxy for just about everything. If you don’t have it lying around it’s very expensive for a project like this.

Here you go. It attaches the fender to the upper crossbar. The nut is welded to the lip on the fender.

Yea, I had a feeling that tightening everything up would be too much pressure for the expoy/glue.

View attachment 715001
Did you try soaking your nuts in something like WD-40 first? looks like an awkward spot to grab onto.

Yea I did but the bolt was so rusted in place for god knows how long. It was no use. I did drill right thru it hoping to break the seal and expose the threads, as I switched to larger bits but still staying small enough to not bite into them. I've got a couple of ideas to make this work once the temps get warmer.

Did you try soaking your nuts in something like WD-40 first? looks like an awkward spot to grab onto.

Auto Transport Service
Back