• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best flowing heads for a big block

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
I have been sort of planning my build and am looking at investing in a good set of cylinder heads. I know the stealth CNCs are supposed to be decent, but am leaning towards Trick Flow 240 power port heads. I read somewhere you give up power down low by moving to 270s. Any other recommendations? It’ll either be a 400 or 440 stroker motor with an aluminum 6 pack setup aimed at primarily street use. Any advice or recommendations?

The trick flows are widely known to be the best
but they are expensive
Pick the heads to match the Cam you are using
if you arent using a 600 lift cam then you wont use the added flow of the trick flows
the Eddys will handle a 500 lift cam just fine

Porting a Sixpack out to 270 size has been done, but I think you would be happier with 240s.
270s should work fine on a 500 inch stroker, but intake choices are fewer, and geared for higher rpm.
Edit: to answer your question, the best flowing wedge heads are Predators. Or maybe, Stage Five Hemi heads.
Also, check your Sixpack intake carefully. I've got one with some pretty serious core shift.

Porting a Sixpack out to 270 size has been done, but I think you would be happier with 240s.
270s should work fine on a 500 inch stroker, but intake choices are fewer, and geared for higher rpm.
Edit: to answer your question, the best flowing wedge heads are Predators. Or maybe, Stage Five Hemi heads.
Also, check your Sixpack intake carefully. I've got one with some pretty serious core shift.
Beat me to it. Predators.
Buddy had a 600" 1100hp hemi,, but his predator motor beat the **** out of it.
He's since moved on to greener pastures,, 750 in 99 motor. :D:eek:

I have the TF 240's and a .600 lift hyd roller cam in my 512 stroker and am very happy so far. With that said, depends on your application, street or race. 240 for street and 270 more for race. my 2 cents. ruffcut

Holy schnikey! 750" 99Hemi? Goin street outlaw racing?
LOL not much of that going on up here. Finding a track that will support it will be hard. Some crazy fuel injection on it.
...went 6.20s on the spray in whatever chassis it came out of. It's in a 70 challenger now.

LOL not much of that going on up here. Finding a track that will support it will be hard. Some crazy fuel injection on it.
...went 6.20s on the spray in whatever chassis it came out of. It's in a 70 challenger now.
Sounds like it ought to be in my friends car. He recently bought a pro-mod avenger.

Had a 440 in a 10.60 68 road runner in the early mid 80's and the 906's flowed within a few numbers of a set of Eddy RPM heads but the design of the chambers, the ports and the angled plugs, the RPM heads were a better choice. It depends on your combination of how big heads will work like how loose will the converter be and the cam, rear end gears but since I don't think the stock aluminum 6 pack intake flows all that well, the big heads might not be the best pick...

It could easily come down to what’s available, and/or how long you’re willing to wait.

Given my choice, I’d go with the TF240’s.

Sounds like it ought to be in my friends car. He recently bought a pro-mod avenger.
Yes I believe it came out of something like that. I think my buddy was on the edge of 180 with the other mills,, it's a very well setup car

I am in the process of wrapping up my TrickFlow 240 install and so far I'm very impressed. I ran the calculations and it really wasn't that much more expensive to go with the TF240 vs any other aftermarket head that has been checked by a machine shop and any QC issues fixed.

Any recommended aftermarket 6 pack intakes? Something street friendly that will flow better than the original? The six pack definitely has the cool factor. Assuming you have your intake port matched, can it be relatively close?

I have seen several comparison tests of big block intakes, including the Sixpack. (I havent seen anything of the sort for small blocks comparing Sixpack with others). Most of the comparo's I've seen say the stock Eddie Sixpack is almost dead even with the performer rpm with a 750/850. The rpm is supposed to be the best overall street intake, best low end, gives up almost nothing to a single plane on the top, so a fifty year old intake is doing pretty good.
The only six barrel intake competitors that I know of are the Weiand tunnel ram, and the indy mod man replaceable top version .
Indy runners are way too short, and the weiand supposedly has distribution problems, and is more of a high rpm piece.

Last edited:
I personally like the B1 line. Brodex B1/BS for a moderate street/strip build. It has the tightest chambers at 65cc. Easiest way to up compression out of the box. Brodex B1 thru B1 TS for bigger builds. Koffel B1 for 1000+HP RB builds.

I personally like the B1 line. Brodex B1/BS for a moderate street/strip build. It has the tightest chambers at 65cc. Easiest way to up compression out of the box. Brodex B1 thru B1 TS for bigger builds. Koffel B1 for 1000+HP RB builds.

I have a set of the Brodix, (not Brodex), B1/BS heads on my 440, and I certainly would not recommend them on a "moderate" street engine. They build tons of power, but have huge valves and need a big cam to work well. I have. 576/.584 lift, and it's really too small of a cam. It's very radical for a street engine, but for strip use and if you're ok for a radical street engine, go for it.

Any recommended aftermarket 6 pack intakes? Something street friendly that will flow better than the original? The six pack definitely has the cool factor. Assuming you have your intake port matched, can it be relatively close?
Engine masters did a sixpack shootout with the stock Eddie sixpack, the weiand x ram, and the str 14-6 box ram on a very good 440.
The stock sixpack made the best top end power, the STR made the best low-end torque, and the weiand cross-tunnel ram was a complete disaster, untunable, and undrivable.

Engine masters did a sixpack shootout with the stock Eddie sixpack, the weiand x ram, and the str 14-6 box ram on a very good 440.
The stock sixpack made the best top end power, the STR made the best low-end torque, and the weiand cross-tunnel ram was a complete disaster, untunable, and undrivable.
Saw that episode recently. Now I'd like to see a comparison to some 4bbl intakes and then do a tunnel ram session with the same engine.

I think if you want to stay with the stock sized intake port for the six pack, the Trick Flow 240 heads are a good (and easy) choice. I think they flow 330 cfm. Get the version with the valve springs that match your cam. When I say "easy" choice, I mean they are already cnc ported, and are setup with good valve springs and retainers.

The 440 source stealth heads have a stock look to them. With some mild porting they will go 300 cfm of flow. These you would have to have ported, and replace the springs and retainers if running anything more than a flat tappet hydraulic cam. These have a stock spark plug location, so will likely need more ignition advance than the other heads.

I think with the Edelbrock RPM heads, you need porting and springs like the Stealth heads, but they have a better spark plug location.

Most of these other other heads use offset rocker arms, but the TF 240 recommend the HS rockers which are about the same expense as rockers for these other heads.

The B1-B/S heads are nice, but seem to be fairly expensive, and unported they flow less than 300 cfm.

I don't know what Indy has in a stock port size head, or what they flow. Maybe the 440 EZ versions?

The standard port size Edelbrock Victor heads are another option. They can flow with the Trick Flow heads (more with porting), but you need to get the valve springs/retainers/locators, offset rockers, and valley tray to run them.
The old 451" 400 stroker has the B1-B/S heads with stage 1 porting from Koffels place (I think they flowed in the 290's cfm?) They worked very good with the 251/251 @ 0.050" 0.620" lift solid roller cam and M1 Intake.
The 499" 400 stroker has the Hughes Engines CNC ported Max Wedge Victor heads that flow 400 cfm. Running a more agressive cam, in the 270's @ 0.050", and over 0.720" lift.
Being max wedge, have to use the Indy low deck intake manifold.

Hughes Engines has some good articles: https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/1headflowchartscomparisons.php
Stan Weiss has a big chart of flow numbers for heads: Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water -- DFW / FLW Flow Files for use with Engine Simulation Software

Heads for a stroker with a 6bbl?

In my mind, the TF240 is the no brainer choice......... unless you “need” the stock appearance.
Then I’d go Stealths over reworked factory iron.

I wouldn’t care about the factory appearance myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back