• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best LED bulbs for 67 Coronet 500/RT??

Jim 68cuda

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
I know there have been several discussions about #1157 style LED tail light bulbs, but my question is which ones to use in a 67 Coronet. With the stock bulbs, my buddies tell me the tail lights are difficult to see in the day time through the bright chrome grille work.
I have tried some different bulbs that fit and work, but the main obstacle to satisfactory results is the center positioning of the reflector in the tail light. Some LED bulbs have a center LED (right behind the reflector) that lights up separately when the turn signal or brake is applied. That one is completely undetectable if the tail lights are on with brakes or turn signal. Since the change is behind the reflector, the light looks un changed. Found another LED bulb that changes brightness all around. That one worked, but the difference in brightness between running light and brake light is too subtle to be effective.
Has anyone found a bulb that works well with the 67 Coronet 500/RT tail lights? These bulbs aren't cheap, so I don't want to continue with the trial and error. Meanwhile I have the same issue trying to get usable LED bulbs for my 68 Barracudas. But at least with the Barracudas, there is no chrome grille work over the lens to hide the light.

Been thinking about this for a while. I forgot who this board used standard 6 inch LED trailer lights, suspended in the tail bucket with foam, to replace the incandescent bulbs all together, and he was thrilled with the results.

I might go that route, but was also thinking about buying these 8 inch LED lights, modifying them to fit my housing. I like the idea of a single strip of led's across the entire tail light, just behind the lens.

Standard type 6 inch trailer lights:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-TL-0...anty/dp/B07PKBZGCR?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

8 inch trailer lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QPI35XA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=AVY0SA2VSFK9N&psc=1

Last edited:
I found the same issue and found low voltage at the sockets. Traced it up to the connection at the kick panel and found the same low voltage. Fuse block same thing. Have pulled the bulkhead connector apart yet but that's the next check.

No part number just an 1157 in red.

image.jpg image.jpg

I recently bought GE Sylvania LED bulbs from Advance Auto for $20 a pair.

They have no direct view LEDs, they all point to the rear/reflector.

The difference in my 73 Satellite was quite noticeable.

A vast improvement over the incandescent's and the difference between tail and brake is noticeable as well.

I recently bought GE Sylvania LED bulbs from Advance Auto for $20 a pair.

They have no direct view LEDs, they all point to the rear/reflector.

The difference in my 73 Satellite was quite noticeable.

A vast improvement over the incandescent's and the difference between tail and brake is noticeable as well.
Thanks. That sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for.

Auto Transport Service
Back