• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best oil and filter combination to use

1967 satellite

Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
What oil and filter is everyone using now a days. My car puts out 400hp and sometimes sits 2-4 weeks between starts. Motor has less than 5000 miles since the rebuild. I have been using a K&N HP-3001 filter.

10-40 Amsoil Signature Synthetic high zinc. Napa Gold Filter.

I use Valvoline VR1 10-30 with Napa gold or Wix filter.

I’m using a WIX filter with Lucas Racing Oil. Has high zinc content.

WIX 51515R or the K&N HP3001

Mann+Hummel filters are fine with me too.
20140605101813_1406.jpg

Mann+Hummel is the company that owns WIX.

I use Valvoline VR1 10-30 with Napa gold or Wix filter.
Ditto. Penn Grade (former Brad Penn) or Driven (Joe Gibbs racing developed) are also excellent.

Joe Gibbs Driven HR 10w-40.
Mopar filter, (Black).

I run comp's zinc additive to any build that has even the slightest cam upgrade. Especially if running flat solid lifters. I know there are synthetic brands that say they have zinc or zinc alternative additive. But I have had very good results with additional additive to standard oil. Especially if racing. You change so much I'm not seeing the upside using these exotic formulated blends. With Mopar Performance high burst filter.

WIX 51515 with Mobil 1 15W50

Lucas 10w40 high zinc and KN HP3001 typical service interval for me is 3-4 times a season. Maybe 1500-2500 miles annually and maybe 20-40 track runs.

Mr.dennis how many miles do you run before changing your oil
More than necessary. Before road trips. About every 3500 miles is a guess. Frequency was determined more by flooding everything with excessive fuel when dealing with restart issues in high heat, drag racing etc. With the EFI in now, the car seems to be running smoother and cleaner, and reduced consumption which has a high of 1 qt to thousand when hammering. May go to annual like the modern cars if mileage kept under 7k a year.

K&N or Wix filter. Redline High Performance for the street, Racing oil (less detergents, and good when using Alcohol fuels) for the strip.

Auto Transport Service
Back