• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place to find a nice ‘68 R/T to buy?

SRT_Blubyu

Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
Been looking for a but without luck.. checking the usual spots (BAT, ebay, autotempest and related sites, wanted forum, etc). im looking for opinions on good places to find a nice/excellent condition ‘68 R/T 4spd.. Turkey Rod Run? Thanks..

If you have the moola it shouldn’t be an issue. Did you look on Joe King’s facebook page? There’s usually something there.

Have you looked on Cars Online? There are usually a few on there. Unfortunately, the bulk of the nicer cars all seem to be at dealers. Don't know if I would ever go that route personally. I would much prefer to buy from an individual.

This guy outside of Chicago seems to deal almost entirely in 2nd Gen. Chargers.

If you have the moola it shouldn’t be an issue. Did you look on Joe King’s facebook page? There’s usually something there.
Not on facebook.. does he have another contact? Havent had mich luck in more than a half year looking…

Fine examples are north of 110 large today.
the right spec, conditions, documentation, and options can certainly be.. great cars.

Have you looked on Cars Online? There are usually a few on there. Unfortunately, the bulk of the nicer cars all seem to be at dealers. Don't know if I would ever go that route personally. I would much prefer to buy from an individual.
I have.. problem is once you go through it once its had to know whats a new posting or one youve already looked at..but no luck there yet.

Yes, but stay away from them. Horrible reviews. They have several different business names....
yikes.. thanks for the tip!

90% of nicer cars seem to be from dealers.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but you better know what your looking at.
It’s hard to be the first guy to a car for sale by a long-term owner.

I’m a body guy and can almost see thru paint. Have one look at your potential purchase. They can spot things most people don’t see.

90% of nicer cars seem to be from dealers.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but you better know what your looking at.
It’s hard to be the first guy to a car for sale by a long-term owner.

I’m a body guy and can almost see thru paint. Have one look at your potential purchase. They can spot things most people don’t see.
I did body work in a collision shop back in the late 80’s. And I’ve seen beautiful paint work over an inch of filler. I still use a light duty advertisement magnet to check the obvious places. And some not so obvious! Good block sanding and prep can hide filler that shouldn’t be over 1/8”.

I did body work in a collision shop back in the late 80’s. And I’ve seen beautiful paint work over an inch of filler. I still use a light duty advertisement magnet to check the obvious places. And some not so obvious! Good block sanding and prep can hide filler that shouldn’t be over 1/8”.

Those business card magnets are about perfect.. Less than 1/8" they stick good. more than 1/8" but less than 1/4" they rapidly go from barely sticking to falling off...

Thats a common problem ive run across.. body work and structural deficiencies masked. Fresh undercoating is a dead giveaway usually.. especially the heavy textured variety. Yuck

Been looking for a but without luck.. checking the usual spots (BAT, ebay, autotempest and related sites, wanted forum, etc). im looking for opinions on good places to find a nice/excellent condition ‘68 R/T 4spd.. Turkey Rod Run? Thanks..
Coronet or Charger?

\
And if you look at them closely enough, they have lots of flaws.
thats an understatement.. there is a big difference between ‘restored‘ for profit and a true nut and bolt restoration of passion.. im looking for the latter.
Coronet or Charger?
68 Charger 4spd/440 (or hemi if i find the unicorn). Factory a/c, power discs, power steering and black with buckets and console would be ideal.. and if in excellent condition, worth every penny.

thats an understatement.. there is a big difference between ‘restored‘ for profit and a true nut and bolt restoration of passion.. im looking for the latter.

68 Charger 4spd/440 (or hemi if i find the unicorn). Factory a/c, power discs, power steering and black with buckets and console would be ideal.. and if in excellent condition, worth every penny.
If you want an R/T with factory AC, you’ll have to go automatic.

Guess thats not gonna happen.. vintage air it is. Factory 4spd is more important! This is a car to drive out of passion and engagement.
The aftermarket kits work great. They also take up less room on the engine. 440 4 speed...“automatic” Dana rear with 3:54 gears. I think that was the deciding factor. Some 383 road runners with the 3:91 8 3/4 also N/A on the AC.

Auto Transport Service
Back