• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Place to get a Rebuilt steering box

64cubed

Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
One of my winter projects is going to be a new steering box.
Its a manual box. How hard are they to rebuild or..where do I get a rebuilt one.
:sSig_thanks:

I'm sure someone will mention Firm Feel. I think you can get them done in different ratios from them as well as a standard rebuild.

A couple years ago I only wanted to add grease and replace the seals on a Manual box for a 71 duster. I got the column shaft seal locally but couldn't find the pitman one anywhere till I called Steer and Gear. It wasn't cheap, he said he had someone tool up to make it for him.
Not sure if the B body box is the same.
He said the real trick is having the correct size balls to custom fit variences in the lightly worn steering pieces that are't bad enough to replace.
He said that is where the tight new feel comes from.
Other than that, any one with some mechanical apptitude and whatever tools a guy needs could probably put one together with a rebuild kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back