• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place to get parts to build an A12 clone

JC Childress

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I am still trying to get my hands on this 69 383 Super Bee. If all goes well, I'd like to make it into an A12 clone. As far as the carbs, thats easy, as we are direct with Holley, but what about the other stuff...the hood and anything else I may not know about. Where is the best place to get everything ?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

The folks here can advise on the parts that are of best quality and such....but for specific parts just Google the part and a lot of vendors will pop up for you to browse and get some ideas (if the parts are available). Good luck, :thumbsup:

I think the toughest part is finding a quailty fiberglass hood. I know YO makes/markets one, but I've heard lots of stories of the hood being damaged during shipment or other misc issues.

The question is how close to correct do you want the car to be. There is a web site that is dedicated to the A12 cars and like this group, lots of good information is available. Just Google A12 Playground and Registry for the site.
The hood can be purchased through Year One. Like you know, shipping is going to kill you on this item. But next to an original, that is your best bet. There is at least two different manufactures of the rear hood pin brackets. I know of predominately one manufacture for the correct style hood pins. What is really expensive is the air cleaner. If you want a metal one, I would suggest buying one very soon as the man who was making them passed away in the past month. Fiberglass alternatives are available as well. The next big ticket item will be the Dana 60 followed by the "H" wheels. You can go with a Mopar 15 x 6 steel wheel and most people would not know the difference except for the A12 and Hemi owners. The "054" radiator is another tell tale piece for correctness, but a 26" radiator will get the job done as well. Then the Dual Point Prestolite distributor is a smaller detail item. You stated that the carbs would not be an issue, but consider the kickdown linkage is specific to these cars and like most items, it carries a pretty steep price. Otherwise, body and interior components are straight forward 69 Super Bee. One thing to note concerning the body is if you want to be correct is that the tail light lens went to a three panel bulb instead of the earlier two panel configuration. Also, the rear frame valance behind the bumper for the A12 Super Bees were oval in shape as compared to a round hole for the fuel filler neck tube.
Fortunately, their have been A12s in our family since they were first introduced and I have a butterscotch Bee presently. If you have any more questions, drop me a private message for my contact information. We have a substantial amount of reproduction and original parts for these cars.

You can get a complete intake/carbs set up from six packs to go in Albuquerque. There's also a place in Indianapolis, In that does the entire set up. I was lucky and bought a brand new one complete with air cleaner assy and all accessories. Got it from a guy here on the forum, and it has worked great since I put it on my 69 RR six pak clone. There is a place in Canada that has the air cleaner assy. P G Industries maybe? Also check E Bay, Summit, C List etc. I think Summit had the best price, and they have all the accessories needed. I think that's a great idea! Good luck!

Lots of other stuff needed of course. My 69 RR came with a six pack hood, 440 auto, frame connectors, 4.11 gears, console shifter, nice solid lifter cam with adj valve train. So I just added a six pack intake and carbs to make it a clone. Then I just recently put on some Eddy Performer RPM heads. This thing breaks the tires loose in second gear when the end carbs open now! And I have 12" tires on the back! Did the auto cars come with the Dana rear end? Or just the 4 speed cars?

As part of the A12 package, the Dana with a 4.10 gear was the only available rear axle and gearing. As for as the air cleaner assembly, the A12 air cleaner was only available as reproduction through Ben Snobar and possibly through a vendor or two who bought them from Ben and resold them. The fresh air style air cleaners as sold through vendors like PG Classics is made for the cars using the fiberglass under hood duct work as found on the 69 Road Runners, GTX, Coronet R/T and Super Bee. They are no where close to the same thing as the style used on the A12 cars, so just be careful when purchasing these pieces.

I don't care about it being super correct as far like a show car or perfect clone. Mainly want it to look correct to the average joe. Correct hood, six pack setup and maybe a couple other details. Nothing crazy. Who makes the fiberglass air cleaner base ? I can't see $1300 for the steel one. Way out of my price range....lol. Thanks so much for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

Year One has the fiberglass base and rubber seal. That's what I opted for with my clone.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/gc211 based plate

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/a0203 rubber seal to hood.

I don't care about it being super correct as far like a show car or perfect clone. Mainly want it to look correct to the average joe. Correct hood, six pack setup and maybe a couple other details. Nothing crazy. Who makes the fiberglass air cleaner base ? I can't see $1300 for the steel one. Way out of my price range....lol. Thanks so much for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

I don't care about it being super correct as far like a show car or perfect clone. Mainly want it to look correct to the average joe. Correct hood, six pack setup and maybe a couple other details. Nothing crazy. Who makes the fiberglass air cleaner base ? I can't see $1300 for the steel one. Way out of my price range....lol. Thanks so much for all the help. I truly appreciate it.[/QUOTE) I think that F/Glass one from year one would work good, although they can be damaged more easily than the steel one.

Auto Transport Service
Back