• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best plug wire boot angle

Aarons Air

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a 383 i'm installing in a 68 b body. I'm using Schumacher tri y headers. If someone with that set up would tell me what combination of plug wire boot end angles works best, i'd appreciate the insight.

Yeah the boot angle is a real pain to sort out. Might make sense to go pick up a few different single plug wires at the local auto parts store and test them out. Heck, you mit be able to return them when you're done.

I know on my headers (not your setup) I ended up needing a couple of different angles to get the job done, and even then I went with the ceramic boots because I had melting issues.

I have a 383 i'm installing in a 68 b body. I'm using Schumacher tri y headers. If someone with that set up would tell me what combination of plug wire boot end angles works best, i'd appreciate the insight.

I had a 383, now a 400 and I used to use Taylor. I had to buy four wires of 135 degrees and the rest were straights. I now have MSD's offerings which will actually bend slightly at the sparkplug boot end and I found them to be easier to fit and keep decent clearance from the TTI's I have on it. They're not anymore expensive as Taylor but I think the outer jacket and boots look a lot better than the shinny ones Taylor has. If you want a serious set of "one time" wires to your particular specs, get a set from Firecore. They're about the best in the buisness when it comes to OE/custom wire sets.

I buy universal Taylor wires and make my own, don't know why more people don't buy the crimper once and never sweat plug wires again. I don't have the same headers but there's usually a routing available to make 90's work. Mine are all 90's routed neatly, some have to face forward, others rearward and so on... routing is usually the key.

I buy universal Taylor wires and make my own, don't know why more people don't buy the crimper once and never sweat plug wires again. I don't have the same headers but there's usually a routing available to make 90's work. Mine are all 90's routed neatly, some have to face forward, others rearward and so on... routing is usually the key.
Yes. Thats what i have in mind. But needed to know which ends to order with them .

I had a 383, now a 400 and I used to use Taylor. I had to buy four wires of 135 degrees and the rest were straights. I now have MSD's offerings which will actually bend slightly at the sparkplug boot end and I found them to be easier to fit and keep decent clearance from the TTI's I have on it. They're not anymore expensive as Taylor but I think the outer jacket and boots look a lot better than the shinny ones Taylor has. If you want a serious set of "one time" wires to your particular specs, get a set from Firecore. They're about the best in the buisness when it comes to OE/custom wire sets.
Firecore. Ok. I'll take a look. Thank you.

I'm running MSD - the ones I bought are straight, but bend a bit to your needs. Got them off SummitRacing

That wire set has pre molded spark plug ends, which are straight. .its the distributor end that you terminate. If all straight spark plug boots would work, this would be a nice idea. But, they don"t.
www.msdperformance.com/products/spark_plug_wires/universal_super_conductor_wire_sets/parts/31193
pre made wire's never lay out the way I want them. make your own up its easy kit comes with crimping tool. all you need is a vise and a razor blade they come in black or red

That wire set has pre made spark plug ends, which are straight. its the distributor end that you terminate. If all straight spark plug boots would work, this would be a nice idea. But, they don"t.

Those straight boots are multi angle.They bend to about 70 degrees with ease. If you need 90's just slip the wire out of the (multi angle boot) and push it through the 90 with a little WD-40 or Silicone spray and re crimp the new plug end, kits come with extra terminals and choice of cap style ends,HEI or socket style for the distributor cap. if you need more 90's there at your local speed shop or online.if you need mostly 90's get the kit with all 90's and buy a couple of straight (multi angle boots). good luck
msd-3301.jpg
images
images
$_58.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back