• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best replacement manual steering box?

origcharger

Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
P-S-T has 16-1s and 24-1s that are aluminum and look like originals for $300-$400 or so

Classic Industries has a cast iron 16-1 for around $500

Flaming River has a cast iron 16-1 in the $700 range

Anyone used any of these? Have any input?
I am thinking of replacing the original manual box on my 66 Charger with aluminum head 440.

Another option, rebuild yours? Steer n gear or firm feel.... ?

Another option, rebuild yours? Steer n gear or firm feel.... ?

Good tip, Another choice, I see Steer and Gear has reman 20 to 1 ratio boxes, wonder if thats a good compromise of responsiveness and steering effort. Early Chargers are not the lightest B bodies on the road.

I ran a Flaming River 16 to1 on a 72 B Body with 10'' wide tires on the front. It was almost impossible to steer at speeds under 5 mph and parking was a nightmare. I switched back to a factory box.Maybe would have been ok if I had 22'' biceps.

I don't think you will find any 20:1 sectors - pretty rare. I have had Steer and Gear rebuild several 24:1 factory units for me with no issues. Bought a 16:1 manual from PST for my Duster and love it. Put another one in my Road Runner and not sure if I like it yet in the heavier body style.

I ran a Flaming River 16 to1 on a 72 B Body with 10'' wide tires on the front. It was almost impossible to steer at speeds under 5 mph and parking was a nightmare. I switched back to a factory box.Maybe would have been ok if I had 22'' biceps.
Yeah I ran a FR box in a 68 barracuda and even in the lighter A body it was a bear in a tight spot

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind working on the car but I don't want to work hard to drive it and I ain't getting any younger. So to get quicker steering I decided to convert the car to power steering with a Borgeson box.

I like my Firm Feel 20:1 box that I had in my Barracuda. I’ve got a new one to put in my Belvedere.

Why not do the best of both worlds...
Quick ratio steering box and then install electric steering..
There are a few ready to go kits and if you look on youtube there are some "how to's" on this.... :D

Auto Transport Service
Back