• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best source for "Orane ECU"?

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read many threads on the "orange ECU"...but am left still wondering where to get one should I need one.

I am chasing an intermittent moderate throttle miss in my '68 Super Bee. Runs fine otherwise. 383, 4 speed. I have recently replaced the plugs (they were 5 steps too hot!), wires, rotor and cap. I also do not know if the wiring is out of whack or not (since God knows how many people have had their hands in it), but it does run well at idle, low and high throttle opening.

I am relatively new to the car, so finding things as I go through it, like it has 452 heads, not the original 906's. It has a Chrysler electronic ignition, not the original points ignition and a Pertronix Flamethrower coil.

What supplier would you recommend to get a quality "orange ECU" to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks!!
Bob
ECU.jpg
Inside electronic distributor.jpeg

Remove the vacuum advance hose and drive it to see how it runs.

If you can find a good used orange ecu that's the way to go. I would stay away from Proform and other new orange ecus. Just my opinion.

For an upgrade I would go with an FBO ECU. Same plug in, same mount. These get great reviews. And if you want it to look like the orange ecu, spray paint it orange and graft on the aluminum heat sink.
Screenshot_20230326-112128_Adblock Browser.jpg

Check those butt connectors and wiring around the ecu. Make sure you have good connections, and ground. Pull off the ecu and scuff the back side of the mounting ear. Or use bolts that have teeth to dig into the metal for good ground.

Look for any corrosion at the distributor cap. I chased an intermittent miss in a Hemi car. Narrowed it down to #7. I to changed the plug and wire before I looked inside the hole where #7 plugs into the cap. It was green. New cap, problem gone.

Look for any corrosion at the distributor cap. I chased an intermittent miss in a Hemi car. Narrowed it down to #7. I to changed the plug and wire before I looked inside the hole where #7 plugs into the cap. It was green. New cap, problem gone.
Thanks! New cap and rotor as well as plugs and wires...

Check those butt connectors and wiring around the ecu. Make sure you have good connections, and ground. Pull off the ecu and scuff the back side of the mounting ear. Or use bolts that have teeth to dig into the metal for good ground.
Will do! Thanks!

Hi all,

I've read many threads on the "orange ECU"...but am left still wondering where to get one should I need one.

I am chasing an intermittent moderate throttle miss in my '68 Super Bee. Runs fine otherwise. 383, 4 speed. I have recently replaced the plugs (they were 5 steps too hot!), wires, rotor and cap. I also do not know if the wiring is out of whack or not (since God knows how many people have had their hands in it), but it does run well at idle, low and high throttle opening.

I am relatively new to the car, so finding things as I go through it, like it has 452 heads, not the original 906's. It has a Chrysler electronic ignition, not the original points ignition and a Pertronix Flamethrower coil.

What supplier would you recommend to get a quality "orange ECU" to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks!!
Bob
View attachment 1439912View attachment 1439913
Best source? @HALIFAXHOPS

Not fixed....
No what I fixed is pnora's post. He said to unhook the vacuum to the distributor and try it. I fixed his statement by adding"and plug it" . You never just disconnect the advance hose without plugging it with a golf tee or the like. No reason to introduce a vacuum leak. Re-read post #9.

No what I fixed is pnora's post. He said to unhook the vacuum to the distributor and try it. I fixed his statement by adding"and plug it" . You never just disconnect the advance hose without plugging it with a golf tee or the like. No reason to introduce a vacuum leak. Re-read post #9.
Ran the car with the vacuum advance plugged...no change...thanks.

Ran the car with the vacuum advance plugged...no change...thanks.
What is the gap on the distributor pickup to the reluctor? You should measure it in at least 4 places. kind of like an
+ pattern

Hi all,

Thanks!!
Bob
View attachment 1439912View attachment 1439913
You've got some pretty neat stuff going on with wiring, as mentioned. What I'm seeing here, I would investigate. As an example, it looks like your 12v source to the ecu is coming from the wrong side of the ballast.
It may or may not be. Hard to tell with the different home wiring.
Could you take the aircleaner off and more pics of that area?
Screenshot_20230326_182154_Chrome.jpg

What OHM Pertronix Coil ?

What Carb are you running

With the pin holes for factory wiring connectors on the left side of ballast like pictured

The bottom of the dual ballast resistor is the .5 OHM coil side or probably a 1.2 OHM

You've got some pretty neat stuff going on with wiring, as mentioned. What I'm seeing here, I would investigate. As an example, it looks like your 12v source to the ecu is coming from the wrong side of the ballast.
Could you take the aircleaner off and more pics of that area?View attachment 1440151
Could you take the aircleaner off and more pics of that area?View attachment 1440151
2A39C6BB-1F5C-45A0-8B9F-9F7012093C1D.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back