• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best spark plugs

6t6slodart

Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
Greetings! After many years of using champion spark plugs on my Mopars, lately they don't seem to be as good as they were. I now work at a auto repair shop and the 2 mechanics both think Champion stink! What brand are best for Mopars? I have a '68 383 engine in my satellite~! Thanks!

Autolite worked much better than Champions for my Mopars.

Gee whiz....I've only ever used Champion and haven't had any issues.

I used to have champions, after motor was rebuilt, it now runs autolite, seems to burn just a bit better than champions did.

Same J11Y Champions have been in my Bee since at least 1982 and haven't skipped a beat, but I did buy her a "new" set for good measure.

beerestorationfall2018 223.JPG beerestorationfall2018 224.JPG

I've run Champions much of the time. In my bracket racing days the NGK's & Autolite's seemed a bit better with 12.5 + CR. I'm back to NGK's now.

back when I ran a parts store, I stopped using Champions. The threads were fly cut rather than rolled. Very rough and almost all the cars we serviced had aluminum heads. Had to repair a lot of threads. I prefer Denso U-grooves, but hard to find these days. I have since settled on NGK.

Tim

I did E-3's in both my 99 Dakota & 68 RR
seems pretty good so far,
I have about 5k miles on them in the Dakota, using them
it's getting a little better mileage,
last few tanks about 20mpg on road trips, down to the valley
I was getting about 17.5-18mpg open road (12.5-15 daily driving)
the org. plugs in it were NGK, when I bought it back in 1999
they had about 53k miles
I think it's really more because of 'fresh plugs',
than the E-3's
but we'll see long term what they do

I have very little miles on the RR with E-3's,
it's 'not stock' & has a chrome CEI box & Blaster coil
it has angle plug 3/4 X 14mm, Edelbrock RPM alum. Heads
but the idle cleaned up a bit
& starts a bit easier
like I said above,
I think it's more about 'fresh plugs' than the E-3 claims
on the scope, it shows a cleaner burn AFR at low & part throttle

I normally use NGK's & have a looooong time
wanted to see if the E-3's did what they claimed
so far so good

Last edited:
The "old" conventional wisdom used to be Autolite on big blocks, NGK on hemi's, at least back in the 80's.
Since I got back into having 440's these last half dozen years, original Champions are working better for me now.
Autolites are part of that company that owns Fram now and there's been a noticeable difference.
I tried some NGK's once in one of the 440's and the thing pretty much spit them out in disgust. :)
I now fetch original Champions (J11's) off ebay (or the Mopar packaged ones with their part number on it).
They're easily sourced, just as cheap and just plain work.

Auto Transport Service
Back