• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best throttle cable for big block

dodge68charger

Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Im looking to drop my 440 into my charger engine compartment but want to put in the throttle cable. Not sure what length to go or who makes a quality cable. Is 24.25 inches correct? I looked at the 27 inch bouchillon throttle cables but they seem way too long. Do you have to loop them. Any help would be great. Thanks

The Lokar cables are easy to cut to length if you need something custom length.

X2 on Lokar

X3 on lokar. I believe I had to get their throttle cable bracket too. Nice looking setup and super simple to install.

I have the lokar, got it together easy enough but I have Had problems with their bracket set up on the carb I have.

The threaded rod to fine tune or set the angle of the bracket off of the carb does not connect with the carb, so there is no way re-enforce the angle of the bracket. Essentially the angle is now set by how tight I have the carb bolt.

I also found the springs didn't have enough pull to get the throttle back to closed. Too long or simply not a hole far enough along the lever to get the right tension. so I have had to add an extra spring. I'll probably look to replace the bracket in the not to distant future.

Otherwise the cable etc was good, I've used their kick down cable as well.

Thanks guys. Any specific cable you guys went with? Appreciate the replys

I can't remember - I picked it up at the lokar tent at Carlisle a few years ago. Just call lokar and tell them what you have and they'll get you setup. Real knowledgable group they have over there.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the lokar, got it together easy enough but I have Had problems with their bracket set up on the carb I have.

The threaded rod to fine tune or set the angle of the bracket off of the carb does not connect with the carb, so there is no way re-enforce the angle of the bracket. Essentially the angle is now set by how tight I have the carb bolt.

I also found the springs didn't have enough pull to get the throttle back to closed. Too long or simply not a hole far enough along the lever to get the right tension. so I have had to add an extra spring. I'll probably look to replace the bracket in the not to distant future.

Otherwise the cable etc was good, I've used their kick down cable as well.

Ya know, I had a similar situation. The springs they sell are junk and that set screw kept falling off the base of my Holley 750 as well. I reused stock type springs (with the OEM spring bracket) and turned that set screw backwards. The screw head was just big enough to catch the carb base nice and solid. I may have used a screw with a slightly larger head, I can't quite recall.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a quick pick of my bracket as I head out the door to work. image.jpg

Yeah I've put a spring on from another set I didn't use but I hadn't gotten around to sorting out the screw. I'll give your idea a burl. Thanks mate!

I use the complete Lokar setup also. I cut the cable for the right lenth and I use the bracket that bolts on the rear carb stud and it has been working good for me since 2006 when I installed it on the car. Ron

100_2346_zps61e6d324.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back