• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best valve cover gasket?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
I have a oil leak coming from my drivers side valve cover gasket on a 440, Stealth heads, Mopar Performance black wrinkle valve covers. Looks like the engine builder used a standard Felpro cork gasket. It's been asked before and it seems the consensus is either Moroso 93055 ($45.), or Felpro ($30.). Any updated ideas on what is best for this combination?

I use the blue Moroso gaskets with my Indy EZ heads and these valve covers. They seal great but I dont know how good the blue Moroso gaskets will seal to your valve covers as these are nice a flat where the gaskets seal to them. Ron

409088851.gif

I got the Mr.Gasket Ultra Seals for my 440. It has stock valve covers. They appear to be mostly cork, but claim to have a synthetic component mixed in. No leaks. The previous gaskets appear to have been cork, also with no leaks. I also used Permatex Ultra Copper silicone on the valve cover side only.

Sometimes covers will seem to never seal right... regardless of gasket make sure the bolt holes are straight and not dimpled from overtighting the bolts or from many times on and off.... I will use a small hammer and a piece of flat stock or body dollie to flatten the highs and lows and it help distribute the sealing pressure between the bolts... if there is the slightest oily residue on the surfaces they will leak and a little 220 sand paper to skuff up the surfaces then a wipe down of laquor thinner then a small amount of non hardening gasket maker on both sides of the gasket and bolt threads then tighten them down to a quarter turn once the maker begins to squeeze out and let it sit over night... then give them another 1/4 turn for a slight squish again... if I was to use a torq wrench it would be 3 steps up to 15 inch pounds or 1ft lbs..... you want to be real light on them because the natural tendency is to over tighten to stop a leak which dimples the holes and makes it worse....

Stock stamped steel with cork gaskets non hardening gasket maker.

Last edited:
I used Felpro rubber gaskets for my stock valve covers. I tightened them slowly in a criss cross pattern, then ran the engine and slowly re-tightened them. As stated above, don't overtighten, might end up with stripped threads. I used to have Mopar performance black valve covers until I overtighten it and broke one of them. They are not flexible, so it was very hard to seal up the leaks.

FelPro. Like ChargerRT guy says. Take your time.

Elk, I've used these since last year and nary a leak. they're spendy, but worth it IMHO

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-93055

They are the Moroso blue like I use which work great with my aluminum heads and aluminum billet valve covers. But I dont know if they will work good with stock type covers that are more flexable. My aluminum covers are flat and solid and dont flex at all. Ron

felpro

I have a oil leak coming from my drivers side valve cover gasket on a 440, Stealth heads, Mopar Performance black wrinkle valve covers. Looks like the engine builder used a standard Felpro cork gasket. It's been asked before and it seems the consensus is either Moroso 93055 ($45.), or Felpro ($30.). Any updated ideas on what is best for this combination?

There will be many opinions but I have had good success with the cork gaskets. I don't use any gasket sealer, just apply a small amount of motor oil to the surfaces and then carefully tighten in a star pattern. The key is to tighten a small amount at time so the cover is flush with the head when you apply final torque. By not using rtv I reuse the cork gaskets frequently. This is stock stamped covers with iron heads and 5w30 oil, no leaks.

They are the Moroso blue like I use which work great with my aluminum heads and aluminum billet valve covers. But I dont know if they will work good with stock type covers that are more flexable. My aluminum covers are flat and solid and dont flex at all. Ron

thanks Ron, I forgot to mention I am using them with cast aluminum M/T valve covers on iron heads...

thanks Ron, I forgot to mention I am using them with cast aluminum M/T valve covers on iron heads...

Good info, I had a set of the cal custom (M/T) aluminum back when I bought the car and they would not work well with the corks. I wanted the stock look and baffles so I went with '70 orange OEM covers.. the cheap cork gaskets worked well with these.

The blues or SCE Accuseal rubber composite are probably a better choice for the M/T.

I used the Mr. Gasket ultra seal set on my 383 when I put it together. I have the Mopar performance black wrinkle valve covers also. When I put gaskets on any valve covers I always use either weather strip adhesive or Edelbrock gasgacinch to attach the gasket to the cover and a little oil film on the other side. If I have to take the valve cover off, the gasket stays with the cover.

I used the Mr. Gasket ultra seal set on my 383 when I put it together. I have the Mopar performance black wrinkle valve covers also. When I put gaskets on any valve covers I always use either weather strip adhesive or Edelbrock gasgacinch to attach the gasket to the cover and a little oil film on the other side. If I have to take the valve cover off, the gasket stays with the cover.

X2! I use the same gasket, same covers and apply 3M weather strip to the cover side as well. Probably had the valve covers off 5-6 times playing with valve lash on the bird, still no leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back