• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean interior hard plastic in 70s models

d9103365

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
All,

What is the best cleaner you have found that works on getting the dirt and gunk off of the hard plastic interior parts of our 70's muscle cars? I want something to brighten everything up without damaging it.

Also, what is the best way to fix the same plastic when it deteriorates? The finish on mine seems to rub off like dust in some areas. I've heard that you can buy vinyl paint....one guy I knew sanded his down and then repainted it with vinyl paint.

Let me know your thoughts...a pic example is attached (cause you guys just HAVE to have pics!!)

photo 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After doing some searching I see a lot of references to SEM color coat...sounds like that's a good pain to use. But what about the issue with the plastic finish rubbing off? Should I just sand this down and repaint with SEM color coat? Is there something that will maintain the texture?

My first suggestion would be to just buy replacements. I've seen sets sell on ebay for $300+ and I've seen sets that are just as nice sell for $40.

Sanding it will remove the detail, but here's something you might want to try... weird as it sounds. I make monster props on the side, and one issue we've had is making the glass-smooth finish of mannequins look more like leather or hides, and we found the best way to give texture to a smooth surface is to spray it with that liquid Flexseal rubber that's used to seal cracks and waterproof stuff. It's now available in home stores and sells for about $10 a can. It sprays like paint and makes a nice textured surface when it dries.

I would try sanding then spraying with Flexseal, then getting some of the Krylon Dual primer/paint mix at Walmart and use that for your color coat. The problem is by the time you buy the materials you need, and factor in your time, you'll be better off just buying a used set.

Thanks for the tip....my car is a 75 sport fury. I'm afraid I won't have much luck finding a used set...in much better condition than mine....but I'll keep looking. The lower plastic section looks similar to earlier Satellite panels...maybe they're interchangeable?

SEM products are good, use them! I believe they also make a "Spray Grain" type material as well if needed. Good Luck

My seat backs were starting to get chalky.

I wire brushed them and then 100 grit sanded them.

Then painted with plasikote "for plastic" spray paint.

I'd give them a B, and they're MUCH better than before.

Plus it was 45 minutes and $12 versus $300 for repro seat backs.

Automotive plastic & vinyl products need to be "treated" every once in awhile to keep them from drying out which makes them crack. There are quite a few plastic/vinyl treatment products out there but I have been using the 303 protectant line for a few years now and they seem to work great. As for plastic and hard vinyl parts that have "discolored" or faded, the only way to correct that is to repaint them. SEM has a 3 stage plastic paint system that works great. Just make sure you follow the directions exactly, but make sure you clean the part with warm water and a mild soap like Dawn dish soap first.
As for the "texture" of a component, if the "texture" has been worn down there is nothing you can do about that except to replace it.
Hope this helps.

I use tire shine on everything it helps softening and it helps bring things back.... more for the rubber than the vinal but it's mostly silicone and the vinal will love it... once it gets dusty it is hard to bring back and I would go for a reproduction and then ,preserve that...

Dish detergent, degreaser, scotch-bite pads and vinyl cleaner (preferrably industrial strength, not the cosmetic stuff sold in automotive sotres) - and lots of elbow grease. The SEM vinyl grain stuff is for repairing patches of damaged vinyl - it doesn't restore the grain overall, more like "blends in the edges" of the damaged spots.

I have the same problem with my door panels. I had a plastic repair/dye company look at them and they told me it's too late to repair them once they become chalky. They said they will continue to degrade and the dye will peel off. I'm stumped. I'm considering sanding them down and wrapping them in vinyl, but worried it will loosen off as the plastic continues to degrade.

I suggest using the 3 stage SEM plastic/vinyl paint before investing in expensive custom coverings..............the SEM system is fairly cheap and if for some reason you do not like the results you can always go for plan #2............

I have the same problem with my door panels. I had a plastic repair/dye company look at them and they told me it's too late to repair them once they become chalky. They said they will continue to degrade and the dye will peel off. I'm stumped. I'm considering sanding them down and wrapping them in vinyl, but worried it will loosen off as the plastic continues to degrade.

Auto Transport Service
Back