• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Rerplace Dash/Gauge Lamps With Brighter Ones On A 70 RR (Rallye Dash)

soundhd

Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
Getting darker early here in Michigan. Had to drive home in the dark last couple nights. Rallye Gauge lights not very bright. Dimmer is turned all the way up to full. Is there model/type of bulb that I can install that will be brighter but not cause any problems with heat?

Thanks

Does anyone know what the stock bulb numbers are that would require replacing behind the dash... I've been thinking the same while I have my dash apart

Does anyone know what the stock bulb numbers are that would require replacing behind the dash... I've been thinking the same while I have my dash apart

The Superbrightled link has a look-up feature. You can find the stock bulb numbers in the back of the Classic Industries catalogue.

The Superbrightled link has a look-up feature. You can find the stock bulb numbers in the back of the Classic Industries catalogue.

Crappy... the CI catalog is free within the U.S. but costs to ship to Canada. I can't find anything on their website. I'm going to go back and look through Propwash's posts and see if they are referenced there

- - - Updated - - -

and just like that :)

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...h-Light-LED-Conversion&highlight=Propwash+LED

I repainted the white on the inside of the cluster for better reflectability. I searched the Superbrightled web site for my application and bought the brightest bulbs from JtechNow. See link below.

IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
I repainted the white on the inside of the cluster for better reflectability. I searched the Superbrightled web site for my application and bought the brightest bulbs.

View attachment 145732

I believe most of the questions above were for the Rallye dash but you have the same as mine. How many bulbs were there? and if Possible could you PM me the link to the ones you went with?

Dont PM! A lot of us wanna know too.

168 is the original plug in two prong bulbs.194 is a newer #,not sure if they are brighter.

There are 4 back lights near the top on the standard dash cluster behind the guages. I used the multi-directional bulbs for the backlights (blue) and the forward facing white lights for the idiot lights and turn signals.
They were cheap and work well.

Circuit Board restored.jpg

http://jtechnow.hostedbyamazon.com/

Jtech 5x 194 168 2825 T10 5-SMD Blue LED Car Lights Bulb (Item No. P7-HZBL-X61K)

These will not fit under the stock blue domes.

blueled.jpg

Jtech 5 x T10 8-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb W5W, 147, 152, 158, 159, 161, 168, 184, 192, 193, 194 2825
(Item No. L3-A0YN-1PKO)

whiteled.jpg

Talking to one of my buddies that works for a high end restoration shop and this is what I got back from him...

I have lots of options for 194 conversions to LED bulbs, LED’s can prove to be finicky since the resistances can vary depending which one you buy. If you dont care about the dimming to much as your website was talkin about there is no real issue, The downside of LED’s is that they dont really spread the light as well as conventional incandescent bulbs. much more directional.Alternatively, I have used a kit from stewart warner before that has the LED’s with color changing capabilities and a controller. I buy the LED’s from them and you can control the colors and the brightness and if you want have them rotate through the colors gradually.

Anyone use or seen the kit he's talking about? I have to admit I'm curious

I did a quick search for Stewart Warner Led Light Kits and this is what I found.....
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/stwled.htm
Looks like different color replacement lamps that have different colors.......Colors are red, blue & green.....$11.95 each.....could not find anything that changed colors with a controler like mentioned below.....again would be nice to get more info.....part numbers, kit #'s, etc.....

Talking to one of my buddies that works for a high end restoration shop and this is what I got back from him...

I have lots of options for 194 conversions to LED bulbs, LED’s can prove to be finicky since the resistances can vary depending which one you buy. If you dont care about the dimming to much as your website was talkin about there is no real issue, The downside of LED’s is that they dont really spread the light as well as conventional incandescent bulbs. much more directional.Alternatively, I have used a kit from stewart warner before that has the LED’s with color changing capabilities and a controller. I buy the LED’s from them and you can control the colors and the brightness and if you want have them rotate through the colors gradually.

Anyone use or seen the kit he's talking about? I have to admit I'm curious

I did a quick search for Stewart Warner Led Light Kits and this is what I found.....
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/stwled.htm
Looks like different color replacement lamps that have different colors.......Colors are red, blue & green.....$11.95 each.....could not find anything that changed colors with a controler like mentioned below.....again would be nice to get more info.....part numbers, kit #'s, etc.....

I'm bringing my car over to the guys garage on Wednesday to start re-wire and look at what I'm going to do for lighting so I'll get as much info as I can. I did notice someone mentioned something similar found in 04 and up Mustangs in this thread

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?43519-LEDs-Rock!/page2&highlight=Led

on my 72 challenger to get brighter lites, i took dimmer switch out and wired it across the terminals so it gets full voltage to the lites.
lites won't dim but i have great lites on gagues

Auto Transport Service
Back