• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to value 68 charger R/T?

Figure out what you think is a realistic price, then triple it. It may then be necessary to double that number.

Asking prices on everything is crazy right now. Just saw an ad on Facebook Marketplace for a 67 Satellite hardtop. 318 and rusted out inner and outer quarters and peeling vinyl top. Asking price $32,500. But I don't know how you find out what cars are actually selling for.

Rule of thumb for 2nd gen chargers: If it seems way to high it's probably right on the money. :fool:

I like the hagerty value guide and actually use it a lot:

I also look at sold auctions (ebay, mecum...) and current offerings.
classic.com can also be of some help.
Don't forget to browse sites like barnfinds.com to see what similar cars sold for in the last couple years.

Of course looking at cars online only gives you a rough idea.
You need to look at a car in person in order to valuate it correctly and you need to know what you're looking at but that's kinda stating the obvious i guess.

If you buy without looking at it in person be aware that's a huge gamble (with bad odds)

Dealers are pretty much always way higher than private sellers. Also pretty obvious.

Hagerty values a "Good" condition 68 318 Charger at $29,700. I doubt any 68 Charger in "good: condition could be had for under $40,000.

Value and worth are 2 entirely different things. What are you willing to pay and it's purpose.

Hagerty values a "Good" condition 68 318 Charger at $29,700. I doubt any 68 Charger in "good: condition could be had for under $40,000.

I don't know but i found hagerty more often than not to be pretty accurate.
I looked at ebay auction results for a while but i more or less gave up on that because i found you can't trust them. Lots of cars get relisted a few weeks later etc. You can't verify if something really sold or not.
So i look at sold ebay auctions but only as a part of the valuation process.

It's even harder to do in germany since there aren't many auctions so it's even more of a guessing game really.
We also have something like hagerty, it's called classic-analytics.com but i don't really know where they get there values and i'm not sure if they're accurate.
But i'm not that much into cars made outside the united states so i can live with that.

It's not really my type of cars but did someone else also notice that some listings on carsandbids.com appear to sell for relatively cheap?
Maybe i'm wrong. They're not really selling the type of cars that i like.

Looking at a few and wondering
What you all are using
For valuation verification?
The cars you are looking at, are they legit numbers cars, R/T's, 318's, projects?

Price is entirely up to you. If you got th money then spend it if you want it that bad. I spent more money on my 2 chargers that people would think WTF really. And yes I did and I’m happy with my choices and don‘t really care what the next man thinks. If you find one you like buy it be happy about your purchase.
My evaluation is when you see it how bad do you want it and how much $$$$$$ you got? It’s what its worth to YOU.

Lots of searching recent ebay sales.
Auction sales.
Keep an eye on listed cars when you find one.
If it sits more than a reasonable amount of time.
Its either to high......or not found the right buyer.

It’s hard to say. I was in your position back in February. Does it have a fender tag, build sheet, etc? Numbers matching motor and trans? Is it a 4 speed or auto? What options? Paint color? How original is it? How much of the metal needs replacing?

You’ll hear a lot of “I would never pay that kind of money” comments online, but the days of cheap chargers are long gone. If you want a second gen charger, you have to pay to play unfortunately.

Ultimately is worth what it’s worth to you.

It is subjective to me = If I want it and it is
worth it to me and not stupidly overpriced -
I will try to buy it and make an offer.

I have 12 Mopar I have built or modified = 1/2 have been featured
in Magizines over the years. They pleasure I get from them is more important
at my age than saving a few dollars.

I am yet to see a U Haul Trailer on the back of anyone's Hearse!

To build a clone Charger R/T would be cool, as long as it is stated it's a clone. I would think a 318 Charger would not command a whole bunch of bucks, except maybe for condition. I can't stand these people wanting thousands of dollars for a car with a tree growing where the engine used to be. It's their stuff I get it. If you can see the car in person, do it. Pictures can't be trusted.

And to think, I worked with older guys that thought I was out of my mind for spending $3500 to get 68 Charger R/T when I was 19. The same one I have over 35 years later. Never thought I'd see the prices these cars are bringing these days.

Chargers are STUPID MONEY Ive been looking for one so long. Sometimes its better to buy a finished one and in the long run it would be cheaper too.

The cars you are looking at, are they legit numbers cars, R/T's, 318's, projects?
yes.. R/Ts Finished
Chargers are STUPID MONEY Ive been looking for one so long. Sometimes its better to buy a finished one and in the long run it would be cheaper too.
Being short on available time to undertake a restoration.. thats the direction im headed. No luck so far... Unicorn is Black/Black 440/$-Spd Power Discs.... GV would be a bonus.

I like Old Cars Buyers Guide for reference. They get their values from auctions and such like Hagerty does. The give you values in six different conditions with #1 as being a not driven 95 point show car. Most of us drive our cars so they are rated on average as a #2 or #3 value. However, this is just a tool so the final judgement of value has to be made by you. I see a lot of people complaining about the stupid high prices of Chargers these days. IMO, they just need to be thankful they are not into 57 Chevies. Check out these prices from last years OCBG.

Document_2022-09-09_091812.jpg

Document_2022-09-09_092022.jpg

Document_2022-09-09_092258.jpg

Last edited:
cant read the text that small.. looks like a '68 charger R/T in condition 1 is listed at $50ish k?? sounds pretty low
?

Last edited:
I increased the size but yeah, hard to read. I don't have a 2022 guide but it does say the Hemi increases prices by 150%
But a rattle trap 57 Chev convert somehow worth $145,000.00?
The bowtie bozo's have been on the crack pipe a bit too long. Especially now that there are more of them than Chevrolet built.

It sounds to me like you just have to find one and see how much it will take to get the owner to sell it. For a complete, restored, good running car...50-100K ish...

Auto Transport Service
Back