• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best weather stripping on the market?

resq302

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
In preparation for restoring my gtx vert, I noticed that someone had put an incorrect passenger side door weather stripping on and glued it in place instead of using the clips since the holes did not line up. What is the best, most correct appearing (and fitting) weather stripping out on the market now? Metro Sponge Supersoft?

For correct fit, appearance and function I like Steel but they cost a lot more than the others. I think you are going to get a lot of opinions but if you don't go with Steel, my opinion would be metro
https://www.steelerubber.com/

Contact 69bfan on here. Richard has been very helpful for me. From what I have been told, it kind of depends on which seal it is to determine which brand fits best. Some fit certain areas better than others. Seems like they sell Metro the most, but he will be able to tell you.

That was my plan to go through Richard as I’ve had good business with him but I just wanted to get the correct stuff the first time and not have to end up with three or so different brands trying to get the best fit.

Also, I know the vent windows are different for the 68-70 b body verts. Are the door seals the same or are the doors different as well? I’m hoping it’s only the vent windows and frame due to the different angle of the windshield for the convertible model.

Brian, keep your eyes open at the swap meets for the ragged old doors. All of the 68 to 70 B-Body hardtops, convertibles and two door sedan door seals are the same. You can sometimes find a seller who will sell you just the gasket, but I have bought complete doors because they did not want to part them out. A rusty door can yield good parts like the vent window frames, door strikers, door and vent window seals, etc.

For those who are ok with the reproduction door seals, it is hit or miss. All three of the major brands have their distinct issues. The problem is that it is not uniform from brand to brand. Metro seems to have the most pliable material. Soff Seal has the most correct profile. Steele can be good on one production run and the next will have issues.

For the vent window seals, I would try to use the originals. For the convertibles, Metro makes a reproduction. I typically prefer Precision on the vent window seals, but they only make them for the hardtops and sedans for the 68-70 B-Bodies.

Good luck and drop me a call with any other questions.

I used Metro on my GTX and am very happy with the results.

Auto Transport Service
Back