• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block auto trans

curlytail

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey all. Probably already been discussed. If so please point me to the thread. I have a 62 fury. 318. Pushbutton auto. I have a hand on a nice 383. Will it bolt up to my trans. Really unfamiliar with this old 727.

JVX adapters and SMR trans. make adapters, but they are $700.00 ish. The other,and best option, if you want to keep the push button trans, is to find a 62 to 65 big block trans. This is the place to start looking.

JVX adapters and SMR trans. make adapters, but they are $700.00 ish. The other,and best option, if you want to keep the push button trans, is to find a 62 to 65 big block trans. This is the place to start looking.
thanks !!!

If you want use the 62 trans get a 62-65 big block case and swap the guts. However the early stuff uses a different spline converter. It needs a late input shaft, and reaction shaft support to be compatible with a 67 and newer converter. I have 65 big block cores or can build you one.
Doug

If you want use the 62 trans get a 62-65 big block case and swap the guts. However the early stuff uses a different spline converter. It needs a late input shaft, and reaction shaft support to be compatible with a 67 and newer converter. I have 65 big block cores or can build you one.
Doug
thanks Doug.. I hear you're the man with this trans stuff..i'll keep you in mind while I sort out what i'm going to do..i always thought a 727 was a 727..who'd a thunk it..I've always had 68 69 70..didn't realize these earlies were so crazy..Scott

Two questions if you dont mind Curly.... if that is your car in your avatar, what color is it? and is your car a sport fury? I thought one taillight was a savoy, two was a fury or belvedere, and three a sport. Thanks.

Two questions if you dont mind Curly.... if that is your car in your avatar, what color is it? and is your car a sport fury? I thought one taillight was a savoy, two was a fury or belvedere, and three a sport. Thanks.
yes..thats my car...it's a standard fury convertible..no reverse lights..i don't know if someone changed it out along the way..as far as the color it came from the factory white with a red interior..it's now black interior..it's a very old paint job..someone did a great job on it..went to a lot of trouble to get up inside everywhere..hard pressed to find even a small trace of white..it really appears to me to be a 55 Plymouth color....pompano peach..
17008830-1962-plymouth-fury-std.jpg
17008831-1962-plymouth-fury-std.jpg

Ive got a 62 savoy ,so i tend to notice 62s. Ive only seen one 62 in a similar color, on a 62 dodge (i think) at the drags in southern california. It was the only other 62 i ever saw at that track. I was wondering if that was an original 62 color. I really, REALLY like it!

I have a 62 Fury convertible my dad put a 383 in it 55 years ago. I changed the trans to a big block 1965 727 this eliminates the trundle drive shaft and replaces it with a slip yoke. 1965 was the last year for push button. You need to make a couple changes but it works great. Also remember 1962 has an older style K frame so you will need the motor mount adapters. Mine are 55 years old the only place i have ever seen them for sale is Mancini racing
1962-b-body-adaptor-brackets-only-26.jpg

1964 was last year for push button. 1965 first year for column shift, but still used cables, 66 used shift rods.

I'm pretty sure the poly 318 will bolt up to a big block Push Button TF-727 and also the 66-67 non Push Button big block TF- 727. So you can expand your search criteria to Poly 318 Push button transmissions.

2 different housings for big and small blocks

I have a 64 727 that i would sell. Unknown condition, but complete. Located in Portland OR.

Auto Transport Service
Back