• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big block headers

360gremlin

Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
I find no mention of what headers fit a doba body with big block with p/s.my high altitude doba breathes like it has emphysema

hello from colorado springs. summit has some cheapies . all 71-79 BB B body long tube headers are going to be the same. if you have the big bucks to spend on shorty headers check out TTi or one of the high end companies.

Just stay away from hookers they fit like crap and the warranty is a JOKE! I can't say anything about the others but I will buy tti's when I can. TAKE CARE HOWARD

On our '77 Doba with a 400 we have a set of Schumacher Tri Y's and they have been on for awhile now and seem to work pretty good, also easy to install.

thanks to all.

bought an inexpensive set of Heddman's. Dropped them in as I dropped in the fresh 383. much easier than the install in my Gremlin was. excellent ground clearance. just a bit close to the trans pan flange but otherwise a great experience so far. It got a lung transplant! Now to get the Atomic EFI installed.:headbang:

I also have a late B Body and was contemplating headers to replace manifolds.
What part# headmans did you get? I might go that route as well.

I believe they were 78030 if my memory is working. 1500 miles so far and one gasket leak on driver side flange. Knew i should have went with the dead aluminum gaskets from the start!

I believe they were 78030 if my memory is working. 1500 miles so far and one gasket leak on driver side flange. Knew i should have went with the dead aluminum gaskets from the start!

Use Remflex gaskets! mine have been in for over two years, I've never had to tighten them and not had a single leak.

i know this is a old posting but is there anyway u can double check and see if those were 78030 headers?
those seem to be one of the best price headers for the money but all there ads always list the application to fit up to 74 b-bodys and i always wonder if there was a reason why they would not fit up to 79? i see jegs has them right now for 159.99 with 13.00 s/h! if u say they drop right in, thats good enough 4 me!
THANKS!

I used the 78030 Hedman headers and they didn't work !

Needed to bang the hell out of the left side headers since it was touching the pwr steering on my 75 RR with 440.

So after a couple of years living with knocking noise and leaky exhaust I put the Tri-Y ceramic from Schumacker a little expensive but they work!!!

I wish Schumacker was around 20yrs ago I wouldn't have to replace headers every few yrs!!

i know this is a old posting but is there anyway u can double check and see if those were 78030 headers?
those seem to be one of the best price headers for the money but all there ads always list the application to fit up to 74 b-bodys and i always wonder if there was a reason why they would not fit up to 79? i see jegs has them right now for 159.99 with 13.00 s/h! if u say they drop right in, thats good enough 4 me!
THANKS!
well , we are going to find out. i have a pair of those and a 440. they WILL go in , we will just have to see how much convincing its going to take.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the 78030 Hedman headers and they didn't work !

Needed to bang the hell out of the left side headers since it was touching the pwr steering on my 75 RR with 440.

So after a couple of years living with knocking noise and leaky exhaust I put the Tri-Y ceramic from Schumacker a little expensive but they work!!!

I wish Schumacker was around 20yrs ago I wouldn't have to replace headers every few yrs!!
are you using factory engine mounts

I use oem engine mount

The issue I found over a few years of research trial and error
that the 73 and up B body engine bay/K frame design is different from the pre-72 B body
And most if not all the headers would fit the pre-72 body perfectly but not the 73up body

The way the engine sits and the pwr steering is mounted differently

The only time I didn't encounter too many issue it's when i had a 383 under the hood
That's why some supplier will mention Cordoba with 400 ( who as a shorter deck like the 383)

But with the 440 (taller engine) and the left headers is getting way too lose to the pwr steering and
the headers doesn't clear the starter if you need to remove it.

Schumacker design those headers specifically design for the 73up B,F,M,J body with big block
you can use the oem starter or the mini/newer design one.

I use oem engine mount

The issue I found over a few years of research trial and error
that the 73 and up B body engine bay/K frame design is different from the pre-72 B body
And most if not all the headers would fit the pre-72 body perfectly but not the 73up body

The way the engine sits and the pwr steering is mounted differently

The only time I didn't encounter too many issue it's when i had a 383 under the hood
That's why some supplier will mention Cordoba with 400 ( who as a shorter deck like the 383)

But with the 440 (taller engine) and the left headers is getting way too lose to the pwr steering and
the headers doesn't clear the starter if you need to remove it.

Schumacker design those headers specifically design for the 73up B,F,M,J body with big block
you can use the oem starter or the mini/newer design one.
yes , im aware the 73 and up cars are spool mounts. was your car originally a small block or 400 car? i had no trouble with small block long tubes , they fit like a glove in both my A body and my 77 charger. it seems to me the headers would fit better on a 440 than they would a low deck, but i dont know from experience, but is irrelevant to what im doing . the 73-79 B bodies use the same K member , although im hearing the small block engine mount pedestals are in a different spot from SB to BB.

The car came with a small block.

The K-frame is a little different between a small block car and a big block (mostly 400) car
The position of the pedestals/bracket on a K frame with a small block is about 3/4" to 1 inch forward (closer to the radiator) compare to the k-frame with big block.

You can remedied the problem with Schumacker engine mount spool conversion bracket small block to big block

But this isn't the problem the problem is with the height/width of the engine who interfere too close to the pwr steering.
Believe me this is tight!!

With a small block you have way more space for headers
and with a 383/400 it's not bad.

It is easier with pictures

2012-05-05 11.33.40.jpg
Hedman 78030 driver side

2012-05-05 13.32.24.jpg
Schumacker on the left Hedman 78030 on the right

2012-05-05 17.41.55.jpg
Voila!

2012-05-05 12.53.48.jpg
old oem starter and 2 new version
I installed the top right one a little bigger and more cranking power

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Schumacher. Dammit some of yall just wanna spend money.

More money but worth it!

After 10 years driving around with leaky/banging/knocking exhaust I got tired of this and the car sounds like a pos!

- - - Updated - - -

Why Not Something That Is Built To Fit? TTI's!

TTI doesn't have anything who would fit my car or any 73up B body big block 440 perfectly.

I posted what I recommended. They DO fit. 205 from Summit. Over and out.

Schumacher. Dammit some of yall just wanna spend money.

the thing is , im trying to avoid spending any money on headers. i got a brand new set of these BB B body headers through a trade a while back and i dont have the loot to spend on them , so im kind of stuck with what i have for the moment.

im a little confused here, you say you are using oem mounts but your car is originally a small block, did you swap the K member? i know i can get the conversion mounts but i have a set of BB engine mounts . im just going to mount the tailshaft and then cut the perches and reweld them to the K member in the right spot if i have to. here is a pic of my drivers side header. the downtubes look a little different , but it could be the angle

- - - Updated - - -

The car came with a small block.

The K-frame is a little different between a small block car and a big block (mostly 400) car
The position of the pedestals/bracket on a K frame with a small block is about 3/4" to 1 inch forward (closer to the radiator) compare to the k-frame with big block.

You can remedied the problem with Schumacker engine mount spool conversion bracket small block to big block

But this isn't the problem the problem is with the height/width of the engine who interfere too close to the pwr steering.
Believe me this is tight!!

With a small block you have way more space for headers
and with a 383/400 it's not bad.
thanks for the pics, it looks like i can cut 3 of the tubes and rework them and then weld them back up to get around the steering box.

Attachments

• headers1.jpg
    headers1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 404
Auto Transport Service
Back