• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block oil change solution to cut down the mess

Don Frelier

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
I have a an oil 2 liter soda bottle cut in half that I usually use when taking the old oil filter off. It catches the oil and funnels it forward beyond the k member.
Couldn't find it the other night.
So I came up with this idea and it worked pretty well. Used the box for the new filter.

Screenshot_20201004-142116.png

Cardboard is your friend.Has many uses.

I have a similar setup using a longer piece of metal that slips under the filter and hangs out the front of the k member.
20180307_104648.jpg

I have a an oil 2 liter soda bottle cut in half that I usually use when taking the old oil filter off. It catches the oil and funnels it forward beyond the k member.
My next oil change will be a lot less messy. THANK YOU!

I custom cut the washer fluid plastic jugs to funnel off oil at the filter. Been doing that since 1979 (changing oil on the 440 in my Coronet back in the day).

I like the idea of using the box the filter came in because you're gonna ditch it afterwards
anyways, so you don't have to clean it first.
BONUS! :thumbsup:

I custom cut the washer fluid plastic jugs to funnel off oil at the filter. Been doing that since 1979 (changing oil on the 440 in my Coronet back in the day).

Yep, any gallon jug.
20170711_104004.jpg
20170711_103811.jpg
20170711_103733.jpg

I use a mustard bottle for filling the carb vents with gas.
20170906_090906.jpg

bought my gtx in 79 and after the first oil change i knew there had to be a better way, i think i used a plastic cider jug, still using the exact same one today.

That jug got HISTORY, man. :thumbsup:

Proper brand too, I notice - just don't ever eat hot dogs in the garage, I suppose? :lol:

My former Father-in-law liked his Pabst Blue Ribbon. Occasionally he would use an empty can to place a fuel pump hose into while cranking an engine to see if there was pressure. Well one day he grabbed the wrong can off the work bench and took a good swig! Another thing to caution while working in the garage

We keep a jar of sharpies to write on parts, jugs etc. As I get older I can't remember where stuff came from or what I have laying around. It helps.

My former Father-in-law liked his Pabst Blue Ribbon. Occasionally he would use an empty can to place a fuel pump hose into while cranking an engine to see if there was pressure. Well one day he grabbed the wrong can off the work bench and took a good swig! Another thing to caution while working in the garage
:rofl:
I would love to tell you I've never done such a thing, I really would....
Say, doesn't gasoline eat the poly whatever in that French's squeeze thingy?

I usually take my oil (Mobil One) and filter (AC for the GM vehicles and Wix for the GTX) to the quick change oil change place and any mess that transpires is their mess.....its just easier for me....
BOB RENTON

Mobil one with hydraulic flat tappets?

:rofl:
I would love to tell you I've never done such a thing, I really would....
Say, doesn't gasoline eat the poly whatever in that French's squeeze thingy?

I missed this one somehow...

I know I did quite a bit of belching the first time I drank some! Learned a valuable lesson.

I didn't notice any softness to the bottle after a couple of days. I did leave some gas in it one time, had it in my cabinet and it kept popping the top off so I emptied it out. I got the idea when I used to help out with a Super Comp alcohol car. We kept it with us in the staging lanes, gave it a squeeze of gas down the carb to fire it off. It fit back into the scoop to reach the carb.

I missed this one somehow...

I know I did quite a bit of belching the first time I drank some! Learned a valuable lesson.

I didn't notice any softness to the bottle after a couple of days. I did leave some gas in it one time, had it in my cabinet and it kept popping the top off so I emptied it out. I got the idea when I used to help out with a Super Comp alcohol car. We kept it with us in the staging lanes, gave it a squeeze of gas down the carb to fire it off. It fit back into the scoop to reach the carb.
I figured the usual ethanol blend gas would do a number on the poly-whatsit bottle would pretty much dissolve
it, but you never know.
I've detected some weakening in the Dakota starter on Fred recently, like it's starting to develop a hot spot on it
from all the cranking on the engine I do when he's sat a few days and the bowls go dry.
It's either do something with a small electric priming pump - or get out the squeeze bottle.
Given the current situation here....helloooooo squeeze bottle. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back