• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Water Pump

67 GTX

Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was looking to improve the cooling on my 440 a bit. It is all stock, so I know the stock cooling system is more than sufficient. I have a 26" 3 core radiator, shroud, and a 7 blade fan with a viscous clutch. I have everything stock internally with the motor (including carb and ignition), and the car runs fine. Just on hot humid days the coolant temperature gets up there. The cooling system still handles it, but it gets me slightly worried.

I'm looking into taking a few parts off of the motor for other reasons and will have the water pump unobstructed at that point. Plus, I think the gasket around the water pump is starting to leak.

The current pump is a stock replacement one, which leads me to my question.
Can anyone recommend a slightly higher performance (aluminum and/or high flow) water pump that has the stock dimensions? Including neck thickness and taper so I can retain the correct bolts that go onto the water pump pulley?

Thanks in advance!

Mopar Performance with an A/C water pump.

7.24.17 050.jpg 8.15.17 082.jpg

I would just keep it stock and add water wetter. I have heard people say it's snake oil, but I personally have seen my GTX go from 200 to 185 in traffic since I added it.

I recently put a Summit Racing Cast Iron Pump into my Satellite and am very happy. It's a 8 fin design with a back plate to help channel the flow. The housing has a cast look and once I sprayed with some engine paint you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

IMG_7007.JPG

image1.JPG

IMG_7013.JPG

The question is, is higher flow better? Fluid moving through the radiator too fast will not cool properly.....don't forget new fuels burn hotter.....

What are your temps?

The reason I like the MOPAR aluminum is the aluminum dissipates heat a little better and the a/c pump has a few more vanes.AND,,,,it's lighter!

I got one from 440 source, don’t know how it works yet but looks good

12CCB980-36B8-4861-9AC3-3B5E891B0576.jpeg

The question is, is higher flow better? Fluid moving through the radiator too fast will not cool properly.....don't forget new fuels burn hotter.....

What are your temps?

The car heats up to 160 very fast, and most days under 70 degrees will allow it to hold between 190-200 on the highway at around 2500-3000 rpm going 55-65 mph.
Once the weather gets about 75 and a bit humid, the gauge will go to 220 and hold it. Even if it is 95 out and very humid, she'll still be at 220 and holding.

The car heats up to 160 very fast, and most days under 70 degrees will allow it to hold between 190-200 on the highway at around 2500-3000 rpm going 55-65 mph.
Once the weather gets about 75 and a bit humid, the gauge will go to 220 and hold it. Even if it is 95 out and very humid, she'll still be at 220 and holding.
So it stays stuck at 220 at a stoplight?

So it stays stuck at 220 at a stoplight?

Pretty much yes. Although I don't have many stop lights around me anymore.

I can also tell you that cruising around vs holding a constant speed on the highway is about the same temp. And the car doesn't cool down when holding a constant speed on the highway.

No mention of the T-stat you are running. FWIW I tried a 180 Murray from Oreillys and it got to 200 and stayed there,pitched it in the trash. Got a Stant 180 from NAPA and now it runs 180 cruising and about 195 idling around town. Plus it is made in good old U.S.of A.

Also verify your gauge to make sure it's accurate.

I got one many years ago for my Charger 383, got it from Summit. It started pissin out the weep hole after about a month. Took it off and marched down to Summit with a recipt. Sorry Sir no warranty on Perf parts. Crapola I say this is a bone stock car. NADA help. So I go to a show and MP has a booth and I tote the POS with. Same Crapola no warranty. So I left it on the table next to their WP display. Guy says you forgot your pump, told him to keep it and stick it. I will never buy MP perf parts again.

I got one many years ago for my Charger 383, got it from Summit. It started pissin out the weep hole after about a month. Took it off and marched down to Summit with a recipt. Sorry Sir no warranty on Perf parts. Crapola I say this is a bone stock car. NADA help. So I go to a show and MP has a booth and I tote the POS with. Same Crapola no warranty. So I left it on the table next to their WP display. Guy says you forgot your pump, told him to keep it and stick it. I will never buy MP perf parts again.

Oooooof. Summit's site says :"Mopar Performance Parts products are sold "as is" without any warranty whatsoever (excluding crate engines). Products thought to be defective upon initial installation can be returned for inspection and will be handled case by case. Mopar Performance Parts crate engines are warranted for 90 days against defects in material and workmanship."

That surprises me. I would've thought the warranty would be better.

What are your temps?
I totally disagree with your premise...velocity of the cooling medium, either on the air side or fluid side is critical to heat exchange pt

What are your temps?

I totally disagree with your premise...velocity of the cooling medium, either on the air side or fluid side is critical to heat exchange pt
Lol....we agree to disagree.....there are other factors involved.....

Auto Transport Service
Back