• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big wheels on Bbodies

Glew

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
I know this subject has been beat deader than roadkill but im thinking of putting 18/17's on my 68 roadrunner. This should be good as far as back spacing right? I like the look of the bigger wheels

R16-786545 17x8, 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, 4.50" backspace(front)

R16-896552 18x9, 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, 5.25" backspace,(rear)

RDR-pass-1-tweaka.jpghmm

I hate them...

Kind of like putting a "Nice" and "Huge" RACK on a 80 year old Grandma....

But, to each his own...

"Peace-out"

Your car and you do as you wish. I'm a old school person that likes both 100% stock and also modified cars. When I think "bigger" wheels, I think bigger wide. :) Not my car but love this look.

mopp_0211_03_z+1969_road_runner+backview.jpg

So there have been (in past threads) lots of comments about looks. Let me make one on ride quality:
Pro: Big wheels with low profile tires will make a car go around a corner better - as long as it is perfectly smooth without any bumps.
Con: Due to your antique suspension, you will have a less comfortable ride. These old cars use their tire sidewall to help comfort as well as tire adhesion to the road.

My own personal opinion is that I don't want the more jarring ride, and all the &%$#! potholes around my area will eat rims and tires both. Plus, I prefer the look of a car with RWL tires too.

Hawk

I really don't understand why people feel the need to voice an opinion about someone's taste in wheels when all they are asking is about fitment not whether or not you like it. I'm not a fan of the factor 14s and 15s either but I keep it to myself because it's just a preference. Having said that my 69 Charger has 19"X10s with zero offset (5" backspacing) and 18"X8"s also with zero offset (4" backspacing), they fit perfectly but the RRs might be different? As far as ride quality goes just ask Kahn about my cars ride, I replaced all of the suspension with stiffer bars, springs, poly bushings, etc and it drives absolutely wonderful (rides better than any car I've ever had).

View attachment 234878

DSCN9233.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I really don't think the wheels in your pic are 18"s and 17"s, look more like 18"s and 20"s?

- - - Updated - - -

Your car and you do as you wish. I'm a old school person that likes both 100% stock and also modified cars. When I think "bigger" wheels, I think bigger wide. :) Not my car but love this look.

mopp_0211_03_z+1969_road_runner+backview.jpg

Wow that is one bad looking RR, love the fatties!

Its just a pic I found online. Those are 20/18's. I have the hotchkis tvs system coming to help with the suspension. That's a nice charger btw.
This is my ride

20141109_134426.jpg

I like the look if done right with the height and pitch of the car. I'm an old man and have come to embrace it. If we would have had the rim selection that is available today, back in the 70s we would have playing with it too.

I'm going with 17" front, 18" rear with 2" drop spindles in front, 1" drop leafs in the rear on my 68 to maintain a little "rake". The Runner in the OP is too low, looks like a Mexican dope Runner IMHO.

This is nice but 20x22 is a little too much. The front end could come down a touch.

Check out Jimbo, Hydrgoon and Barelad's set up on this site.

mopp_1010_01_o+1969_plymouth_road_runner+roadrunner.jpg

To each his own someone has to support the aftermarket. So if you want to do go ahead. If someone else complains keep it to yourself .

18's

18x10 and 18x8

15x10 and 15x7

I think you guys know I go both ways...

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

I really need to get some decent pictures OUTSIDE of my garage...

When will they start putting on wood spoke wagon wheels? Looks about the same and way cheaper............................MO

Fixed...

rretr.jpg

Nice looking ride! Wheel's............swear they're about 10X harder to pic out than paint. Good luck!

Wow those wood spoke wagon wheels are expensive

- - - Updated - - -

Well I want to go with these and hope the backspacing is correct. Im gonna stick with 17's all around.

17x7, 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, 4.25" backspace- front
17x8, 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, 4.50" backspace-rear
10499627_10152478215080923_599812499618033387_o.jpg

You won't be disappointed with the ride after the Hotchkis TVS

Auto Transport Service
Back