• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigblock + Manual steering?

Flyboy1400

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here. The project is a '66 Sat HT, with a '68 440. The car currently has power steering, i am thinking about swaping to manual steering. Its going to be a driver, so i guess im looking for opinions here as to the drivability of that combo. Does anyone drive a bigblock car w/ manual steering? is it a pain in the 'you know what' to park?

Thanks guys!

Here's some pics of the current state...still got a long way to go....but its allready come a LONG way.

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

Both of my Bee's are manual steering and manual brakes. It took a short time to get used to, but now it's not even a thought. I had a 66 Coronet 440 with a 440 that had manual steering and it too was no big deal!
Kid

boys at delweb 08.jpg

The only time they are really a bear to steer is with radial tires, and moving really...really...slow.

HOWEVER.......

It beats the hell out of a Bowflex:rolling:

I've had a '68 GTX, 440, 4 speed, and now a '71 Charger 383 automatic, and both have power steering. I recently sold a '64 Belvedere Max Wedge, 4 speed, with manual steering. All were street driven cars. For a driver and ease of parking, I'd go with the power steering and make the car more enjoyable to drive.

I have a 1966 Hemi Coronet with manual steering and a 1969 Six pack Super Bee with power steering. The Hemi car has 205/14" radial tires on the front and is not bad at all.

The secret to making it easy on yourself with manual steering is to keep the car moving and not try to start turning it when sitting still.

If I had a car that was equipped with power steering I certainly would not convert it to manual unless it was a race only car and I was looking to eliminate every power robbing item. For the street you will likely never notice the power difference.

I would however recommend one of the steering gear shops that convert your power steering box to a firm feel rather than the standard Mopar "no feel for the road" steering.

Keep the width of the front tires reasonable and steering with a man box is easy.....if you are not a 99 lb obama voting liberal :rolling:

no worries about that one :grin:

Thanks guys!
The main reason im lookin at swapping is that the car sat in the desert for about 5 years with the lines unhooked and the openings on the steering box were caked with dirt and crud. I figured that instead of spending money on a power steering box and pump, i might as well just go to manual, as long as it wouldnt be too difficult to drive regularly.

I'm driving a BB with 26:1 manual steering without problems and planing to switch to a flaming river 16:1 manual steering. Any experiences?

Some guys suggest me not to go under 20:1! :shruggy:

My front runners are 205/75R14 and the car weighs 3800lbs.

parking in lined parking spots really sucks with manual , or backing up and parking .
If it's power already I would keep it that way. Have driven my 69 runner with manual steering for 24 years now ,it's not bad but I love driving the birdible with power steering much better .

My 66 Hemi Charger is a factory manual steering, manual brake car. Like others have said, as long as you're in motion it's not bad. Low speed parking lot maneuvers can make you exert some effort, though...

I have a manual steering bee that had a worm change to 16:1 if thats correct from mopar performance. It helped tremendously in parking, & low speed manuvers. If you are looking to save hp it can be done relatively cheap by getting a used manual box & putting that worm in it

ps! you have to change the length of shaft you use, or also get the adaptor from mopar performance to extend the shaft to meet the box! ps shafts are shorter!

ps! you have to change the length of shaft you use, or also get the adaptor from mopar performance to extend the shaft to meet the box! ps shafts are shorter!

What he said.

I actually went the otherway on my 68 Runner. Never got outa town much and just got tired of it.
That said, I have manual on my A body and I like it there.

My 64 Polara has a 440 and manual steering and a 4spd. The other day I was out in it stopped got a coffee and went for a drive, It was doable.coffee,manual
steering, 4spd. It aint for 98lb toffu,beansprout, yogurt,non fat mocha venti whipped cream latte drinkers though. They should stick to driving these.:rolling:

Erin_in_the_fagbug.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back