• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIGGEST REAR WHEEL

FLY 9999

Local time
6:46 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking at a stock '63 Belvedere. I have a 10" wide Centerline with the 4.75 backspace. Probably would like to put a 10"-10.5 slick on that tire. Will it fit or is a spring relocation kit mandatory?

I was using a 10.5x28 slick on my 62 savoy, on a 8.5x15 centerline autodrag with 4 7/8 backspace. I have to use 3/16 and 1/4 spacers. But I'm positive that mine doesn't have the stock width 62 rearend. I think it's a 65 housing and axles.
I THINK you might have trouble with that much tire on a ten inch rim, i think it will move the tire too close to the fender. You might get away with a 9x28. The stocker guys use 9s on a ten inch rim all the time.
I had barely a finger width at the fender, and about 3/8" to the springs with my 10.5".

I was using a 10.5x28 slick on my 62 savoy, on a 8.5x15 centerline autodrag with 4 7/8 backspace. I have to use 3/16 and 1/4 spacers. But I'm positive that mine doesn't have the stock width 62 rearend. I think it's a 65 housing and axles.
I THINK you might have trouble with that much tire on a ten inch rim, i think it will move the tire too close to the fender. You might get away with a 9x28. The stocker guys use 9s on a ten inch rim all the time.
I had barely a finger width at the fender, and about 3/8" to the springs with my 10.5".
Did you eliminate the wheel lip?
I am minitubbed and springs moved in.The rear meats for the streets is 16.5X31,slicks are 10.5 W

67328564_10218219895629411_5170448726627450880_n.jpg 63554820_10156273624806245_3902937039296790528_o.jpg IMG_9893.JPG

Not eliminated, just rolled.
If you move springs and tubs you can get lots of tire underneath. I think the op wanted to know how much tire he could use on the rims he's got.

A 9" slick is always questionable on a regular prep track. Now at a S/SS event, the tracks are well prepped or those cars can't launch well. I have a BB/550 HP and a 727 w/2.75 first gear. I'm looking for a roller that is light enough and figuring what I will need to put it all together. The '63 that I found needs nothing body-wise. Just needs my power parts. My '65 stocker from 45+ years ran 7" slicks. That's the only reference that I have for that body style and tire fit.

What will fit is greatly effected by the stock inner wheelhouse,moving the springs inboard sure would help!

Last edited:
The thing that can get you in trouble is the tire bulge. Doing my measurements on my '62 all looked good until the tires were mounted, then there was a clearance issue at the springs because of the bulge.

I still have the original housing and used Dr. Diffs flanged axels to keep the "narrowest" housing. '62 and '63 are the narrowest "b" body housings.

Useing Cooper 275/60/15 the "footprint" is 9" and the "buldge" is 11" on a 8" rim.

I had bought rims with a 4-1/2" backspace and the buldge was 1/8" from the springs. Had to use a 1/4" spacer to move it out. A 4-1/4 backspace rim would have been the ticket.

I don't know how much the wheel well was changed in '63 from '62 but here's my results.
20170914_194640.jpg
20170914_194711.jpg

Not eliminated, just rolled.
If you move springs and tubs you can get lots of tire underneath. I think the op wanted to know how much tire he could use on the rims he's got.
Those rims are the wrong back space depending on the width of the rear.

I
Those rims are the wrong back space depending on the width of the rear.
I dont think they are the wrong backspace , i think they are just too big for a car with a stock width rearend and stock spring location. Any more backspace, they are against the springs, any less and they're into the fender. The only way i see them working is with less tire than the op wants.
Plus, op wants to use his hotrod parts. Maybe be has a narrowed dana.

Move the front spring hanger flush to the outer frame rail. Redrill outer hanger mounting holes. Drill an access hole thru the frame for the spring eye mounting bolt. Weld the inner side of the hanger to the outer frame rail. Weld a plate to the lower rear frame rail and mount sliders from Speedway Automotive. That way with the correct offset wheel it'll all fit on a 10" rim. However we have mid 10 second cars hooking fine on 9x28. Good shocks with proper adjustment is the key either way.
Doug

I bought the Afco made in the USA sliders just because.They offer the offshore for 1/2 the price.They came with hardware for SS springs and I had to go back to Calvert to get the hardware for his spring.The bushings have different OD's. Calvert sliders are also angled and I still wonder if they are better??????

4.7.15 005.jpg 4.7.15 006.jpg 5.31.15 023.jpg 7.8.15 002.jpg 7.15.12 (3).jpg

A 9" slick is always questionable on a regular prep track. Now at a S/SS event, the tracks are well prepped or those cars can't launch well. I have a BB/550 HP and a 727 w/2.75 first gear. I'm looking for a roller that is light enough and figuring what I will need to put it all together. The '63 that I found needs nothing body-wise. Just needs my power parts. My '65 stocker from 45+ years ran 7" slicks. That's the only reference that I have for that body style and tire fit.

I will say I cant agree completely with you on that. I run 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slicks on my 63 and I never have any problem hooking at any event. A test & Tune or an NSS race I usually always hook fine. My car is not super fast at all as its a street car I drive to the track and race sometimes with the NSS cars. It will run 10.70's on good days. And its nothing special at all as I run just the 3400 lb SS springs and the longer extending MP shocks that have no adjustments on them. One day I ran 10.76 three passes in a row as the car is always very consisdent. I used to use a 29.5 x 10.5 tire and it fit and would be fine for a drag car only but I found on long turns like beltway ramps the tires would rub and even smoke from to much rubbing on long turns. So I went to the 9" wide tire that has plenty of room and never rubs even on turns and they hook as good as the 10.5 tire did. I found when I race as long as I stage in the grove which is the tire tracks where everyone has been launching I hook great. I don't even use a pinion snubber and its all stock suspension up front with 90/10 shocks. The tires today are so good as I see mid to low 9 second cars hooking on 9" tires. But you have to go with what you like of course. Good luck with it what ever tire you go with. Oh and of course I have stock wheelwells and the springs have never been moved. Ron

413103758.jpg

The OP never did say how much HP was going to the tire. As Ron said he can hook on a 9" tire. I am using a 10.5w and next time I want yo try a true 10.5.
I have the big tire for the street 'cause it looks good!

14446063_10209093559908620_2114990937203815858_n.jpg

Agreed, Al. There's just something about big tires that brings us back to our youth...

DSCN0012.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back