• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

billet rear main seal for big block

furyus

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed one of these? bought the one from Mancini but no instructions. What do the tubes do? any tips for a leak free install?

I'd email Mancini and have them email you the instructions.....they're better than that.

Well, I guess I'm the one at fault. When you cut open the package the instructions are folded up behind the part. Oh well, went pretty smooth. Now have to get it back together.

No problem. I made a mistake once................lol

I just replaced my billet one yesterday for the correct piece for my 383...[see related posts to oil main seal leak]...and I have to tell ya this...The billet pieces are not that great at sealing up the rear main seal. You do have the upper and lower O-rings, but the side seals are built into the retainer and not like the originals. Caused a major oil leak...and the fact I installed the O-ring seal *** backwards [MY BAD!!!]...so I opted to research which one is best. There will be numerous thoughts on this topic but for the majority I have found that using the original retainer with the Vitton Seals from 440Source actually sealed the area better than the billet retainer. Add a little RTV to the outside of the retainer, aft end where block and tranny bell housing merry up and then let it cure. I am now sealed up and will get my 383 back into the car. I had to pull the engine due to other issues but for now...while keeping fingers crossed...it appears to be good and snug with no gaps around the sides. Make sure to torque the retainer bolts to 30 ft/lbs per the FSM. Next is some 440Source heads in place of the re-worked and conditioned 516's. Should be done by the begining of the year on what was supposed to be just a simple build....:angryfire:

ive put in 3 main seals and cant get it to stop leaking any sugestions or ideas i used felpro kit but this new engine worn stop leaking what seals r best at sealing i want to drive the car not tear out trany every day ???????? thank all

I am no expert on it, but the main thing is to have the seal lip facing towards the engine. Maybe try using the good rtv that's oil resistant.

ive put in 3 main seals and cant get it to stop leaking any sugestions or ideas i used felpro kit but this new engine worn stop leaking what seals r best at sealing i want to drive the car not tear out trany every day ???????? thank all

Go to this site and get the seals listed. Slightly large and thicker than the FelPro ones...

http://store.440source.com/Viton-Rear-Seal/productinfo/144-1000/

http://store.440source.com/Silicone-Rear-Seal-End-Strips-Kit/productinfo/144-1001/

Thank you cr8crshr, I have been looking all over for these seals! All I could find was the black hard as a rock (stiff) felpro seals. Changed them 4 times now, they all leak like crazy - hate them. I used to get these red viton seals years ago from Direct Connection. Nice soft, pliable, never ever leaked. I'll order these now and know I wont have any more rear main leak issues.

Many times the machining on the billet or factory seal bridges are off. The bolts pull it sideways causing the seal halves to be out of alignment. It's best to check the retainer w/o the crank or side seals. If it doesn't line up open up the bolt holes. It will self center on the seal itself. You may find the side gaps are not the same. I seal them with no seals, just RTV. Run sealer in the V grooves and in the angled area at the back of the bridge (between the crank flange and the bridge) with a putty knife. You will have no leaks.
Doug

Also make sure the half of the seal that fits in the block contacts the crank on both sides, big blocks are known that the machined groove is offset to the crank.

Auto Transport Service
Back