• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Billstein shock/calipar interference

megaivtes

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
I did a Right stuff drum to disc upgrade a few was ago and all was well. Upgraded to billstein shocks this wknd and was ready to test drive when I lost brakes/pedal to floor. No leaks and it pumped back up. Turns out at almost full lock the back of the single piston calipers hits the shock and pushes on the piston creating the pedal to floor situation. To me looks like the shank to eyelet needs to be 1/2"-3/4" longer to clear calipers. Spent alot of money on these shocks. Have to call Right Stuff tomorrow to see what can be done.
20220704_143909.jpg

Last edited:
More information needed What kinda car and year etc.

While your looking at the shocks I'm seeing brake calipers that don't look anything like the OE parts so perhaps the blame belongs in "The Right Stuff"'s court....

And whats going on with that cotter pin in the lower ball joint?

67 satellite. Single piston caliper. I meant I need to call Right stuff.(corrected) This style calipers can be front or rear mounted. They are rear mounted in this case. Front mounting would mean swaping the spindles.

20220704_205802.jpg

Last edited:
I did a Right stuff drum to disc upgrade a few was ago and all was well. Upgraded to billstein shocks this wknd and was ready to test drive when I lost brakes/pedal to floor. No leaks and it pumped back up. Turns out at almost full lock the back of the single piston calipers hits the shock and pushes on the piston creating the pedal to floor situation. To me looks like the shank to eyelet needs to be 1/2"-3/4" longer to clear calipers. Spent alot of money on these shocks. Have to call Right Stuff tomorrow to see what can be done.View attachment 1308327

Was it ok with the previous shocks? If so, reinstalling them may be your only remedy.
Edit: I just read your remark about changing to front mount, that is a great option if the calipers will clear in that position

Front mount may cause sway bar interference... That style caliper with the banjo fitting has always had the potential to be a problem... A larger rotor & appropriate bracket would move the caliper back giving more clearance... I'm guessing those are 10.75 rotors?

Front mount may cause sway bar interference... That style caliper with the banjo fitting has always had the potential to be a problem... A larger rotor & appropriate bracket would move the caliper back giving more clearance... I'm guessing those are 10.75 rotors?
no sway bar. These are 11" rotors.
Mounting to the front may be the solution...just need to make sure hose is ok and doesn't get stretched at full lock around shock.
Pic of very similar setup from Ehrenberg article.
1657022582899.png

Last edited:
just to update, mounting calipers forward eliminates the interference. I have told The Right Stuff of the dangerous situation when rear mounted and when interference occurs you get loss of brakes and that they should note do not mount rearward for 66-67 satellite/belvedere applications.
Thought i might get away without an alignment with just the lwr ball replaced but drivability is a little squirrely. I will be installing new upper control arms, cam adjusters and tie-rods to complete front end before alignment.

20220708_180650.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back