• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block Crack Repair/Picture

FlagCraig

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Machine shop sent my engine builder this picture. They called it a minor crack. It is circled in pencil.
What appears to be a crack next to freeze out plug (right side) is not.
This is a 67 440 out of a GTX.
For the minor crack we are discussing options to fix. LockNStitch?

Just looking for your all thoughts.

Thanks.

Block.jpg

Look up how this is done on Google search,this looks to be a great way to repair a block.
Also do a UTube search.
If this is a matching block or date code
correct you want to keep I'd go for it.

Look up how this is done on Google search,this looks to be a great way to repair a block.
Also do a UTube search.
If this is a matching block or date code
correct you want to keep I'd go for it.
Yes this is the original block for the car.

Just make sure its a company well versed in block repairs,other than that it should be as strong or
stonger than before.

By the way this is done to alot of disiel blocks
from what I've heard

I use lock-n-stitch all the time, and works very well. I would see ANY problems with fixing that crack this way. Here are some pics of a 16" crack I repaired on a 235 GM 6cyl. Owner wanted original block, so... Took about 7 hrs and 135 pins.

IMG_9228.JPG
IMG_9230.JPG
IMG_9233.JPG
IMG_9234.JPG
IMG_9260.JPG
IMG_9261.JPG
IMG_9262.JPG
IMG_9263.JPG

Maybe kinda crude but, I used JB Weld on a very similar crack 15 years ago and it's still holding. Ground out a "V" and filled it back in.
Mike

I use lock-n-stitch all the time, and works very well. I would see ANY problems with fixing that crack this way. Here are some pics of a 16" crack I repaired on a 235 GM 6cyl. Owner wanted original block, so... Took about 7 hrs and 135 pins.

View attachment 585223 View attachment 585224 View attachment 585225 View attachment 585227 View attachment 585228 View attachment 585229 View attachment 585230 View attachment 585231
Wow your work looks first class. I appreciate all the pictures. My crack is about 2" or less. I'm hoping less than a couple hours. Thx.

Weld it! A good professional welder can fix that. If a potential welder expresses any doubt, go find another ASAP!

View attachment 585223 View attachment 585224 View attachment 585225 View attachment 585227 View attachment 585228 View attachment 585229 View attachment 585230 View attachment 585231
It's good to see somebody still has this kind of skill.

drill a tiny to small hole at each end of that crack , so it won't grow any further , 'v' the crack with a bit deep , heat the area up to cherry red and keep it there . tig (have to remove the fluks coating from rod) or arc weld up that crack with the ni-99 rod , its made for repairing and welding on cast iron . have done it on different engine block with great results .

last block I had repaired had the same type crack in it..at the freeze plug,,sent it to a cast iron repair shop in northern calif,,where they heat the block up in an oven,then braze the cracks..worked great..professionally done..with freight back to me was 600.00..same thing with cracked max wedge heads..brazed...

Simple weld without going through the oven process, if the welder knows what he’s doing. Should be much less that $400.

that's nothing to worry about I've had a lot worse than that repaired I'd just cold stitch which is usually $50 a inch make sure they over lap them & pressure test it. I would never weld a block unless it absolutely had to be.

I just tig welded this hemi block.
CBE2B162-F1B7-4F05-BD11-7D319277C6D2.jpeg
0390A7BB-8D1C-4BC9-A47F-D30B0A44AB5E.jpeg
2D474693-C5AF-4C2A-97AE-44CDC2A4CE14.jpeg

We used a product that works amazingly well. The middle picture shows a bead in as welded condition before my old school assistant peened it to death (it didn’t need it at all).

Simple weld without going through the oven process, if the welder knows what he’s doing. Should be much less that $400.

Have you actually done any of it? I’m not gonna even unload one for $400.... let alone repair it for that.

Auto Transport Service
Back