• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block Heaters

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
I have been using an electric magnetic heater on the bottom of my 440 oil pan for several years during winter storage, but they never last more than 2 years. I am considering another type of heater like the one pictured below. MY questions are where is it installed on the engine & where can I get one if still available? It is pictured below. It is an LR336 400 watt 115 volt unit. If I recall. I believe Hallifaxhops or someone else sells them or at least used to.
Thanks & a hat tippo!

heater.jpg

They go in a frost plug hole on the side of the block. The question is why are you using a heater "during winter storage".

If you’re trying to keep condensation at bay, you could look into using Golden Rods, they come in varying wattages and last a very long time. I‘ve used them on boats to keep blocks and pumps from freezing.

3FB34D86-C63F-401C-A756-BAE5B4EAF606.jpeg

Consider a lower radiator hose heater. The cycle warm water through the entire system. Even the heater core. When I lived up north for years all of my vehicles had this style heater.

They go in a frost plug hole on the side of the block. The question is why are you using a heater "during winter storage".
I also have to ask why you need to heat your engine during storage ? Change your oil, check your antifreeze for freeze level, and treat your fuel with stabilizer. That's worked for me for about 50 years, especially if it's stored inside.

I didn't for many years. I try to start the engine and warm it up every week or two during winter to keep the internals lubed & I just like hearing it purrr. I put it in gear back & forth, pump the brakes, toggle switches, ect... Having the engine a little warmer helps it start with less strain on the battery and helps charge it from my perspective. I guess I feel guilty that I am not constantly trying my best to keep things moving. I heard it from a couple friends who used heaters & did the same thing. Of course, some of them have nice "heated garages" as well. It also stems from my inner paranoia of a possible forest fire with high winds that could quickly consume my house & cars. Ever since I was a boy scout, I have lived by the scout motto: "Be Prepared!" There is no heat where the car is and after I warm it up real good, I will sit in a chair near it for a while with a cold beer and just admire it. The space around the car gets nice & warm from the exhaust pipes. (Exhaust fumes are ducted outside). If I wasn't still working I would be working on it more often. (Guilt Trip maybe). I just want to thank you all for the responses as I didn't know of several of them. I am not about to remove a freeze plug just to put in a heater. The picture of the heater does not show the back of it so I had no idea if there were threads there or not. The lower hose idea sounds the best to me. My next question is: Am I doing any harm by trying to keep the engine a little warmer?? As long as it doesn't hurt the car any it helps sooth my inner worry wart! By the way, there is no heater core or heater box as the car was stripped of all creature comforts for drag racing before I bought it.

I always thought that starting the engine and letting it warm up periodically was worse than just not starting it during the winter.
Reasons:
1. Condensation build up with the engine not fully reaching operating temperature due to no load
2. Corrosive gases getting into the exhaust and sitting there - exhaust rusts out quicker as a result

I have no idea if this is correct - it's just what I've read or heard over the years.

Edit - I just looked it up and found this To start or not to start? That is the question for winter storage

My exhaust is stainless steel and since I rap the throttle both in park & in gear after full temperature is reached with my foot firmly on the brakes to give it a little load, at least in my head, I thought that's what I was doing somewhat. I also put soup can caps on the exhaust anytime it's sitting to help keep rodents out! Little bastards!

In the industry I'm in, amongst other things, we install and maintain large pumps. Typically any where from 500-3000 gpm. These pumps are typically driven by an electric or diesel engine. The diesel engines are required by code to be installed either with a block heater OR be in an environment where the engine temp is always warm so it can start quickly and with minimal strain. These engines are required to be started weekly (manually or automatically) and run for 30 minutes minimum. This gives the engine ample time to get up to running temperature, lubricate sufficiently, and burn off any moisture accumulated internally during the first few minutes after start up. Pretty consistent with the heart of this thread I'd say.

Most engine wear is at startup at least that was what I understand
Starting with out driving is likely harder on it than not

When we have something up here that you can't put a block heater in, we use a stick on pan heater. Kats is popular.
Very reliable, and work as well as a coolant heater.

On my '70 Barracuda daily driver, never garaged, I found the core plug block heater to be the best for our zero to minus 20 temps.

I'm sure Our Members from the West, to Midwest Regions, and Canada, could comment on needing them in their area. I ordered my '96 Ram with a block heater, as I expected to use it when needed for daily driving, here in WNY's colder winters. Ended up never really driving it much in winter, and sold it to some PA folks, who really don't need it there. I know my Cummins has one, and I usually plug it in a day ahead, if I have to start it up from storage over the winter...

Auto Transport Service
Back