• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blower motor to turn on

Willy The Kid

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
So I’ll be brief as possible but I want context so it doesn’t seem like I’m trying to cut corners.

1967 gtx that’s restored now and my plan was a complete unit from vintage a/c. It has a painless harness in it. my dads flying in tonight. My plan is to surprise him by picking him up in the car. I live in south Texas and it just so happens it’s below freezing today. Should I be able to make the green wire that goes to the blower motor run by giving power to it? I tried just running a jumper wire to it and it doesn’t run. Do you have to use the resistor? I’d like to just have the blower motor hot for one trip.

I'm looking at the schematics. Looks like the black-tr wire is the power feed to the switch from the fuse panel. I would install the resistor so as to not fry anything but, brown looks to be the power on the switch and dark green and light green are the different speeds. So if you must have the heater blowing I'd jumper from the brown to one of the 2 green wires. And it should work on one of the two speeds. Keep in mind that the resistor is for reducing power not sure how well it will work with full 12 volts. I guess at full 12 its on high and the other is low speed. Unless I am completely wrong which is possible. Use a tester and check the brown wire at the resistor for voltage.

heater.png

Last edited:
Blower motor must be grounded, should have black wire for that. 12v on green is full power/speed, totally bypassing resistor that gives you speeds.

So long as it is grounded that should work. But like low ball said it will. E full speed, in fact faster than full speed i believe. Not sure I’d want yo run it that fast for long periods. But it should work….

Does it have vintage air? If so what kit as the wiring would be dependent on the Vintage kit. Never kits have an ECU and all the servo motors and blower motor are controlled through it. Back feeding could burn up some components.

I am going to put a vintage air kit in it. The questions been answered. Thank y’all I guess the blower motors not working as I have supplied power to the green and it doesn’t work. The ground wire is grounded too. Oh well it’s not that cold.

I am going to put a vintage air kit in it. The questions been answered. Thank y’all I guess the blower motors not working as I have supplied power to the green and it doesn’t work. The ground wire is grounded too. Oh well it’s not that cold.
Run 12 volt power direct to the motor from the battery or a known good 12 volt source.. By pass the resistor completely. Make sure it has 12 volts to the motor and verify the ground is 100 percent. If so and it does not work tap on the motor. If it works switch and fuse it for a temporary fix. Running 12 volts constsnt will not hurt it in fact its better.

If you still have the resistor in place (heater box), can get feeded the brown wire for the low speed, light green for mid speed or dark green for high speed into the cab from any 12 volts source ( i.e. Fuse box bus bar ), based on the posted diagram.

the resistor is tipically visible and easy to reach underneath the glove box..

but wondering… do you have AC-HEATER or just HEATER On your car? Because this changes a bit the setup. On 71 and lates at least the AC-HEATER setup gets for heater function a single non seteable speed being sourced by a brown wire, while AC gets three speeds with Tan, Light green and Dark Green.

Dark green is allways the resistor bypass thought coming out straight from speed switch (along with the the output from the resistor block), feeding full voltage to blower.

Last edited:
Resistor can still have issues with connection. Thats why I said go direct to the motor. You are eliminating one less item.

Auto Transport Service
Back