• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown, EFI 426 Hemi Willys Build

Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
Well; I was encouraged by one on the staff members to start this thread. It's not a direct Mopar, maybe considered an earlier generation distant relative. Wilys=Jeep=Mopar??? We'll see if the Moderators come up for air... Lol. This info was buried in one of my other threads, so we'll post new and start the journey.

To Recap; I had The Barton built SC, EFI Hemi in my '64 all last summer meanwhile, the crossram Hemi was setting on an engine cradle in the corner of the shop. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!:eusa_doh:
I decided to put the Crossram back in the '64, keep some of the upgrades, (MSD, Electric Fans, Trans cooler, Etc.) and build a new project for the Barton Engine. But What to Build????:eusa_think: Then it hit me; '41 Willys Coupe!! Not a Fiberglass Kit from Outlaw, an orig. steel body piece. The search was on. After calling on about a 1/2 dozen pieces that I thought might be steel (they weren't or the owners changed their minds) I finally got a lead on one south of Minneapolis. Talked and Texted back and forth a couple times and BAM! DONE!!..

SO, Here we are today. Couple of fun facts:

The car is all original except for a few sheetmetal repairs over the years.
It was raced in the 60' and 70's with a 392 Hemi and then a 327 Chevy.
It comes with ALL the orig Bright Work down to the Door Handles and orig. Dash/Inst. Cluster.
The Body was removed and professionally acid dipped.
A one off Art Morrison Chassis is part of the package.
It currently sets at the Previous Owners shop in Epoxy Primer.

Today I'll probably call Ken (the P.O.) and discuss having his shop do the floor boards, Rear Tubs and finish out the front and rear suspension.

Here are a couple picts. to get this party started!!

20160229_115239.jpg 2016022795112112.jpg

South of Minneapolis? That's getting close to my neck of the woods.

Congrats on the purchase, and thanks for starting the Build Thread ....I look forward to watching the progress unfold. :headbang:

Subscribed. :icon_salut:

South of Minneapolis? That's getting close to my neck of the woods.

Ya, it's in Savage, MN. talked to Ken and his shop manager yesterday. I'm going to have them mount the body on the frame and do the floor pans and tubbing. Since they engineered it, they have to concept of how it goes together. We loosely discussed the project vision. At this point I think we're going for a SEMA level pro-street. Early next month, after work slows a bit, I'm going to shoot over there and spend a day reviewing it with them. I'll have more picts when I get back.

- - - Updated - - -

can't wait to see this one you just got to love a 41 Willys

Ya know, that's the thing about these Willys... It doesn't matter what your core brand is (Mopar, GM, Ford) Everybody likes/loves them!!

Ken sent a few more pictures of the parts as the guys were eating dust and digging out the totes.. Pretty cool stuff! Bright work, Dash cluster, glove box doors, window regulators, emblems/badging, etc...

Attachments

• 20160305_105922.jpg
    20160305_105922.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 673
  • 20160305_111227.jpg
    20160305_111227.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 682
  • W back of dash.jpg
    W back of dash.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 653
That thing is sweet, I really like that instrument cluster, very cool - :headbang:

I've always liked the willy's body with the hemi. Not to hijack the thread but I remember an old movie where a street racer went from town to town racing for cash and he ended up crashing his ride. Then the towns people rallied around him and one gave him a willeys to put his hemi into. I think it was called Hot Rod or something like that. Anyway the willeys with a hemi has always been a no Brainer for me. It's like it belongs there. Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it done.

I've always liked the willy's body with the hemi. Not to hijack the thread but I remember an old movie where a street racer went from town to town racing for cash and he ended up crashing his ride. Then the towns people rallied around him and one gave him a willeys to put his hemi into. I think it was called Hot Rod or something like that. Anyway the willeys with a hemi has always been a no Brainer for me. It's like it belongs there. Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it done.

[video=youtube;R7M1RtnXzHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7M1RtnXzHw&ebc=ANyPxKpuzbM7abgPS7ZD0N1ojcdGAZ5-e0lIbV3pctUslr-KzVnsIqEVIhMg_za39KfcqP-wY1715kui1ChvBRQ-Px4fAW4QZQ[/video]

After you're done showing it and it gets its first couple rock chips you gotta bring that thing to Muncie dragway!!

Perhaps my FAV car of all time!
(I'm 62 now, but remembering the Stone, Woods, Cook model as a kid)
I'm on board this thread!

Cool stuff!

Perhaps my FAV car of all time!
(I'm 62 now, but remembering the Stone, Woods, Cook model as a kid)
I'm on board this thread!

Cool stuff!

Hey Bee-Ski,

Funny that's the second time the stone-woods-cook subject came up. I stopped by Gary Ball's garage the other day and he was telling me a story about a '41 he owned in the '80s that was a SWC clone. He ended up selling it to some lawyer or something....

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Xva6VCsO--/17iss2ehjzm04jpg.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back