• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BME blocks

bobtile

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
Looks like the Bill Mitchell blocks are getting ready to roll. He said 90-120 days if you order now.
$5,895.00

Screenshot_20191123-135451_Facebook.jpg

Just knowing I have that foundation under the hood is going to make it worth the 6k, and whether I'm popping the hood or planting the gas, I know that I have something very special in my Roadrunner.
It's going to look beautiful under a pair of TrickFlow 270s, and whatever aluminum 6bbl intake I wind up with.
Unfortunately I don't see my Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl dual plane being an appropriate choice, even getting it massaged out to MaxWedge sized ports. Unless any of you say it would be OK since I'm going to be street driving and cruising more than racing.
I just need to live long enough to see the engine build completed. I can't see going with TrickFlow 240s with the capabilities that block has, or ???
To Be Determined...

I'd love to have one If I had the extra coinage

that'd be a great start to any wedge 'race build'
I'd personally do the 4.490 bore
(says max bore is only 4.530, I wonder why ?)

no more broken main-bearing caps
& the crank walking around HOPEFULLY

I am currently building a 572. It is an old block not a new one though. The machine shop had to do lots to it to make it right, but it should be a great bracket motor in my car.

I am currently building a 572. It is an old block not a new one though. The machine shop had to do lots to make it right, but it should be a great bracket motor in my car.
The words are the same but the bold in the above quote are from IQ52. Boy was that ever true on the one I was cursed to work on. It's all right now but it took many dollars to correct. I really pray the new ones are a bunch better.

Yeah deck is 10.712 now. Took lots to get it squared up. It’s a custom Diamond piston with a custom CH.
but yeah, off the shelf stuff may not fit well on the older blocks after it is all squared up.

The words are the same but the bold in the above quote are from IQ52....I really pray the new ones are a bunch better.
Thanks for the heads up my friend! :thumbsup:
I will give a report, but it's going to be after January, possibly not until May for mine.
If anything worth reporting on the QC tests from the foundry etc comes up, I'll post a thread, and then that will be my engine build thread.
:praying: for outstanding results! That's HUGE, hard to come by money for me!

I am currently building a 572.
They show a 4.240 bore, and a 4.490 bore.
Max bore 4.560
So are those "common" bores and what strokes are typically combined with those bores and what total cu in size are the results?
I know ya'll can quote this offhand, I would have to look it up.

It's going to look beautiful under a pair of TrickFlow 270s... I can't see going with TrickFlow 240s with the capabilities that block has, or ???
Keeping in mind I'm really green when it comes to this, I saw a pair of TrickFlow heads on a BB Chevy today, "TF 280" so that makes me think the 270s are definitely the best choice with the power handling capabilities of an aftermarket block vs the 240s??

It astounds me in this day of CNC that new blocks would need anything beyond hone to fit. Line hone, lifter bores, cam bores, deck should be within .000x of factory spec. Needs a lot of work and $5-8K for a new part, nope
Doug

It astounds me in this day of CNC that new blocks would need anything beyond hone to fit. Line hone, lifter bores, cam bores, deck should be within .000x of factory spec. Needs a lot of work and $5-8K for a new part, nope
Doug

the volume just does not support it

the volume just does not support it
Then how do they machine them? Slow and inefficient on poor tooling? Regardless, sloppy machining is sloppy machining. Why would you pay thousands to "fix" a new block? Why even bother "finish machining" if it's no good? That's just plain dumb business. I dont know about current KB and World blocks. But Indys stuff isn't build ready. And apparently neither were the previous World blocks.
Doug

the castings themselves are low volume, if somebody would order a couple hundred thousand units they would be a lot cheaper, same with machining. To set up and do just a few big $$$. Its not that the machining is poor, it should not be. Its just a matter of all the engineering, setup, labor divided by a small number of blocks = expensive block

the castings themselves are low volume, if somebody would order a couple hundred thousand units they would be a lot cheaper, same with machining. To set up and do just a few big $$$. Its not that the machining is poor, it should not be. Its just a matter of all the engineering, setup, labor divided by a small number of blocks = expensive block
It's not the cost of the block in question. It's the fact that it has to be machined. Why would line bore, lifter bores, etc be incorrect on a new block? No reason for it.
Doug

A $500-600 bill at the machine shop should be all that's required, for a reputable new block to be ready for assembly. That would cover line hone, minor deburring, hone lifter bores for clearance, cut deck to desired height, finish cylinders, and final wash. This is assuming that the block arrives within a couple thousand undersized on the crank, cam tunnel and lifter bores. If they cant hold a tolerance within that you're going to have problems. Of course there are times when a customer would request other things done to a block out of the ordinary and that would throw more money at it.

My understanding is the group of 10 aluminum blocks that were recently poured at the foundry are going through their initial machining process, a basic machining before they are sent out for their build processes.
20 per month is the foundry goal following this run.
I am absolutely going to put my deposit down, and at least own the block by May.
Hopefully I can do more than just pay off my block, but I have to start somewhere or I'll always be writing about my "future" stroker motor, and then that day will come when there's a post in the General Forum "anyone know what happened to Biomedtechguy?" because I'll be taking my dirt nap.
No sir! I am committed to getting the Bill Mitchell World aluminum block, I've found a builder I trust and is well equipped to do and does every day FAR MORE than what I'm looking for, but their experience with performance built MOPAR engines beyond my needs assures me that they are well equipped to engineer an engine that will meet or exceed my expectations, and I believe that going all in will leave me with the satisfaction of knowing that I have a first class piece, it will be a source of pride and topic of conversation when I pop the hood, and the best foundation to give me peace of mind when I'm putting another would be competitor in my rear view mirror and on their trailer.

that makes me think the Trick Flow 270s are definitely the best choice with the power handling capabilities of an aftermarket block
Well, Trick Flow 270s are going to be my choice. I get a kick out of being able to say my engine will have"Max Wedge" sized ports (forgive the teenager in me).
That was confirmed by one of our most experienced forum members, and he also gave me the blessing on choosing the 4.49 bore size block...
what strokes are typically combined with those bores and what total cu in size are the results?
With a 4.25 stroke crank, so that same thing about me that gets kicks out of the "Max Wedge" sized ports is thrilled about the 4.25 stroke, for a total of FIVE HUNDRED FOURTY-ONE cubic inches!
:bananadance::drinks::lol:

Bio, IMHO the Max Wedge size port is REQUIRED for a 500"+ motor that is intended for big power. The fancy, BIG, lite block with those heads will try to put you in the trunk.

Auto Transport Service
Back