• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body assembly and frame dimensions

coloradodanny

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
So I’m pretty frustrated that I can’t find good, reliable, legible information on body assembly and frame dimensions.
It’s 2023 and all I have or can find is a grainy pixelated diagram from 1969. I’ve purchased the 1970 service manual and the 1970 chassis service manual. They have a lot of useful info but literally nothing about the construction of the body. There is no guide to the relationships between each individual panel and its attached panels. Why isn’t there a comprehensive manual that shows the entire body construction?
I’m in no way a creator or talented in diagram drawings but I’m curious why no one has done this? I’ve watched 100’s of YouTube videos with junkerup, rustbucket, and Guzzi. These guys have done a great job, but it’s impossible for them to demonstrate every possible scenario I’m going through. I’m very confident in my skills to physically attach the parts but it’s more of the philosophy and prioritization of the order of operation. Measurements are like ghost. Some guys on YouTube mention them but they don’t say where their 100 mark is or the info is incomplete. I really need some help with this. I have 35 AMD parts to install and I’m prepped and ready.
Thanks guys!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mock-up. You should be fitting everything 2 or 3x to work out the details before welding anything. Visegrips and Tek screws are your friend

I understand that 100%. Living by that method. I’m just wondering why there isn’t a manual for fitment and the relationships of parts. Crappy old diagrams are are maps. Prioritized order of operation for a complete rebuild. Start to finish. So a guy can pick up wherever his project may start.
All projects start at different points.
Thanks brother.

There is no guide to the relationships between each individual panel and its attached panels.
There never will be because it is almost impossible. Why do you thing from the factory there were visual differences from left to right sides. I got that answer right from the factory. Each side is fitted on its own. So be prepared to mock and tear down over and over. Center and fit the hood to the cowl is a main step. Everyone starts in the rear and fumbles when it gets to the front. So many days and nights will be made with little to no progress.

perfectly aligned exterior panels, centered in their adjustments as much as possible, will dictate everything

Last edited:
The reason that there is a lack of factory information is because they likely saw no need for it. The car was built on an assembly line but repaired in the field. Once it is complete, from there, any work needed pertained to repair or service. There are diagrams of reference points to use To bring a damaged car back into spec but they surely never cared about what a restorer needed to assemble a car after rust repair 54 years later. There were probably internal memos, blueprints and schematics for the employees as the car was built but those likely never left the assembly plant.

Another reason is irregularities in components. The manufacturing equipment as well as dies and molds wear so the panel sizes vary. That and with aftermarket as well as different companies making these all have variances. Even new fenders, hoods doors, and deck lids from new had differences. Its not a one size fits all.

Crappy old diagrams? Those are for body shops to pull the car after an accident. They are priceless.

The factory manual didn't need to advise you of how to replace a quarter panel, you should already know how to do it.

Kinda like telling a rock band how to write a #1 hit song, they already know how to do it. And a book on it won’t help you if you do it if you don’t have any skills.

The job ahead of you takes years of experience to master.

Crappy old diagrams? Those are for body shops to pull the car after an accident. They are priceless.

The factory manual didn't need to advise you of how to replace a quarter panel, you should already know how to do it.

Kinda like telling a rock band how to write a #1 hit song, they already know how to do it. And a book on it won’t help you if you do it if you don’t have any skills.

The job ahead of you takes years of experience to master.
Crappy wasn’t the right word. I should have said legible. The ones I have found are pixelated and difficult to read the data.

Get an original shop manual, they are crisp and easy to read, a precise diagram with measurements.

The parts book has some better pics of body assembly.

I'm having the same problem with a build I'm doing, luckily I have 3 other chargers to compare measurements to. I'm currently putting a few measurements pages together to have a more complete reference for other builds. I to was surprised at how little information there is from the factory. looking at your build I would say you have your hands full. Working off of axle stands I would be keeping a very close eye on datum and center line measurements ,as rockers and rails tend to sag to the uneven floor. especially when there's no bracing installed.i hope these dimensions are easier to read

frame_specs.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

Hopefully you made measurements and braces before the floor was removed. The diagrams in the FSM are priceless. The factory tolerance was 1/4" or more in many cases. Test fit everything. This is the time consuming part, more so than the welding.

Auto Transport Service
Back