• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body/epoxy question

Cory M

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
In very novice opinion, I would consider this very minor rust. Do you think a spray of rust converter is necessary before epoxy primer?

20220830_192730.jpg

20220830_192702.jpg

20220830_192653.jpg

It needs cleaned off, media blast or DA and 180, but it needs to be removed.
You can not paint over rust. Rust convertor or not. Sooner or later its coming back.

Yeah, sand the entire thing as fast as you can and then get it in epoxy. What was it cleaned off with? Rough sand blast needs knocked down, profile is too sharp

Also -

you will need to wipe Ospho (rust converter) on the bare metal - convert rust, DA and then epoxy.

Not matter how hard you try to sand our rust, it will still stay behind in the micro small pit holes in the metal.
If it is not converted prior to putting epoxy or sealer on the bare metal, you run the risk of issues developing later.

Link to product:
Amazon product ASIN B00IDTGW84
every car that I have restored has had the Ospho process done on it. - ZERO rust issues on cars I did over 20+ years ago.

ALSO
take the lead seams out. There is always rust under them and lead will continue to gas out for a very long time.
Can be repaired and use the bondo with fiberglass in it to repair.
I learned then hard way on this - trust me.

Bill

In very novice opinion, I would consider this very minor rust. Do you think a spray of rust converter is necessary before epoxy primer?

View attachment 1335712

View attachment 1335713

View attachment 1335714
Most definetly. I would use phosphoric acid with 1/3rd water mixed, brush on the area. Then, cover with saran wrap so the phosphoric doesn't evaporate but stays wet dissolving the corrosion. Maybe a day or two covered is all it takes for the rust to go away. Just check under the surface covered to see if it's still wet. If it drys a little just brush on to keep the metal damp. When done, clean the surface with a wet rag and prime. If anything turns black , just take a wire brush or scraper to kick off the black deposits. I've done this method many times and it works well.

Also -

you will need to wipe Ospho (rust converter) on the bare metal - convert rust, DA and then epoxy.

Not matter how hard you try to sand our rust, it will still stay behind in the micro small pit holes in the metal.
If it is not converted prior to putting epoxy or sealer on the bare metal, you run the risk of issues developing later.

Link to product:
Amazon product ASIN B00IDTGW84
every car that I have restored has had the Ospho process done on it. - ZERO rust issues on cars I did over 20+ years ago.

ALSO
take the lead seams out. There is always rust under them and lead will continue to gas out for a very long time.
Can be repaired and use the bondo with fiberglass in it to repair.
I learned then hard way on this - trust me.

Bill
Great info! Thank you!

Auto Transport Service
Back