• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body filler

Ceedawg

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
Ok need opinions and good answers-results.
I’ve always put the filler on the metal first but heard that it is better to paint first with the two part epoxy primer then fill. I don’t want the filler coming loose (does it stick ok) so.. thinking about it this way since bondo absorbs moisture it should keep the metal from rusting under the paint over time.

Filler only absorbs moisture if you have not welded up all the areas and pin holes or you get the filler wet. Once the filler has had water applied. Its like a sponge it will be damp for a while. Even though youve blow dried the outer surface off . Then again primer absorbs moisture as well. Epoxy works well providing you can get it into all the critical areas. .

Last edited:
I agree with the filler over epoxy comment above but still don't worry about it much if I happen to burn through to bare metal in places.
Modern filler is pretty idiot proof. Never had a problem. Rage Ultra is the bomb.
Also, don't use a single stage glazing/spot putty like the old 3M red or green. It shrinks. Use a 2 part putty.

Thanks that's what I'll do now

What filler do you use? Make sure you read the tech sheet. I like epoxy first but most of these say direct to metal also.

Depending on what brand of filler you use, you may get different answers. For instance, Evercoat says this:

“Our fillers are designed to work over bare, properly prepared substrates such as: steel, aluminum, galvanized, stainless steel, fiberglass, and SMC. Some people prefer applying an epoxy primer over bare substrates to enhance corrosion protection. Our products don’t need to be applied over an epoxy for corrosion protection as long as the bare surface area is clean and no surface rust or contamination is present. However, some auto manufacturers do require body technicians to coat the bare metal surface with an epoxy before applying fillers. If you are performing warranty work, you should consult the manufacturer of the automobile for the recommended procedure. Fillers and putties will normally work OK over properly sanded (80-180 grit) cured OEM paint. However, with so many different types of aftermarket paint available (lacquer, enamel, urethane, water-based). We recommend that all paint be removed where filler is to be applied.”

Then again, you might want to do away with polyester based fillers altogether and make your own. This stuff, using Epoxy instead of polyester has a superior bond. You can find some great advice on a place called FBBO. :) https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/filler-secrets-101.93735/

Wow what a read, how can I keep this article for future read?

Depending on what brand of filler you use, you may get different answers. For instance, Evercoat says this:

“Our fillers are designed to work over bare, properly prepared substrates such as: steel, aluminum, galvanized, stainless steel, fiberglass, and SMC. Some people prefer applying an epoxy primer over bare substrates to enhance corrosion protection. Our products don’t need to be applied over an epoxy for corrosion protection as long as the bare surface area is clean and no surface rust or contamination is present. However, some auto manufacturers do require body technicians to coat the bare metal surface with an epoxy before applying fillers. If you are performing warranty work, you should consult the manufacturer of the automobile for the recommended procedure. Fillers and putties will normally work OK over properly sanded (80-180 grit) cured OEM paint. However, with so many different types of aftermarket paint available (lacquer, enamel, urethane, water-based). We recommend that all paint be removed where filler is to be applied.”

Then again, you might want to do away with polyester based fillers altogether and make your own. This stuff, using Epoxy instead of polyester has a superior bond. You can find some great advice on a place called FBBO. :) https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/filler-secrets-101.93735/
I know you know your $hit Photon but here we go.:jackoff:
Mud the ****** and shoot it Ceedawg.

I just finished all of my body work not to long ago. I put down epoxy first. I believe it was Evercoat Rage Ultra that I used ...that is some impressive stuff, I dropped a glob on the shop floor ( epoxy coated) and cannot get it off. I took a ball peen to it and it barely made a dent and will not release. Finally had to chisel it up and wire wheel it.

I know you know your $hit Photon but here we go.:jackoff:
Mud the ****** and shoot it Ceedawg.
Simple but effective.
And I keep forgetting I’m 70 so I could really give a duck what happens in 15 years lol

Auto Transport Service
Back