• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body Mount Confusion

Cordoba78

Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
The body mounts on my 1978 Cordoba are in bad condition, so i am going to put in some new ones in polyurethane.
I have looked at both Prothane #4-101 and Energy Suspension #5.4111 but i noticed a thing that confuses me a little bit.
In the Prothane kit, the four upper mounts that goes between the k-member and the body are all the same, all four mounts have the same thickness, but in the Energy Suspension kit, there is two different upper mounts, the rear mounts are about 1/4 of an inch taller than the front mounts.
Both kits should fit my car, but why does all four Prothane upper mounts have the same height, and the Energy Suspension have different rear mount and front mount heights, does anybody know?

The energy ones crush more so they make up the difference in height

I put the energy on my 78 Cordoba. The rears go in fairly easy the fronts are a pita. You will need a long pry bar and a budy on the fronts to get them in without having to unbolt the front suspension.

Because of the metal sleeve in the middle of the body mounts, the Energy ones can not be crushed more to make up the difference in height.
I took some measurements of the body mounts, and i see that all four Prothane upper mounts are 1,44 inches thick, and the Energy upper mounts are 1,5 inches thick (rear mounts) and 1,25 inches thick (front mounts).
If i put on the Energy mounts, the front of the k-member will be 1/4 of an inch closer to the body than with the Prothane mounts.
Would this 1/4 of an inch in height difference have anything to say, would it affect anything like engine mounts and steering shaft?
What would be the most correct body mount kit to use?

If you look closely, you can see the height difference in the pictures (sorry for the bad pictures).

Prothane.JPG Energy Suspension.JPG

Like I said I used the ES mounts on my 78 Doba and the skinny front ones are a PITA to get in. Im thinking that the Prothane ones you will have to drop the entire k member to get them in an that means drooping the suspension. ES probably recognized this and designed their mounts to be installed without having to remove the upper ball joint and shocks. Honestly the improvement over the trashed rubber mounts was an amazing difference. If there was any issue with alignment in the steering shaft or motor mounts I couldn't tell.

To put in new body mounts would be an easy job, since the front suspension and the k-member are removed from the car.
I did some research today to find out more about the body mounts.
The first thing i did was to take a closer look at the old rubber mounts to see if there was a difference in height between the front and rear upper mounts.
It was very hard to see if there is a difference because the old mounts are in a very bad condition and they have been compressed for a long time.
I then took a look in my 1978 parts book, and this is what i found out.
All the Cordobas (S), Chargers (X), Furys (R), and Monacos (W) shares the same k-member.
The body styles 23 (2-door hardtop), 41 (4-door sedan), 45 (2-seat station wagon) and 46 (3-seat station wagon) have all different part numbers on the front upper mounts and the rear upper mounts, while body style 22 (2-door special coupe), which is a Chrysler Cordoba, have the same part numbers on all upper mounts.
My conclusion is, please correct me if you think i'm wrong, that all four upper mounts on the Chrysler Cordoba are the same/same height since they all have the same part numbers, and the other cars/body styles have different front/rear mounts since they all have different part numbers, but i do not know if the different part numbers are related to different height on the front/rear mounts.
But anyway, it seems like it doesn't have anything to say what body mount kit you use, Prothane or Energy Suspension.

k-member 1.jpg k-member 2.jpg

all four bushings on my 77 charger are exactly the same. I bought the hard rubber set. they are also identical to my 74 charger. had they been different thicknesses I would not have used them. there are also torsion bar mount bushings you may want to replace while you're in there.

I’m looking to buy a set for my 76 Cordoba.
Just wondering if the performance of the Prothane with its equal height is better than the ES unequal set.
Thanks!

I need to get a set of rubber bushings for my 78 magnum.. I'm not to keen of the urethane ones. I work for a company that makes urethane parts. And urethane lasts, between 3 and 15 years. Depending on the environment.
I had oem urethane suspension bump stops on my 2000 dakota, crumble and fall off in 10 years. And yes I'm the original owner and still runs great at almost 300k.

Auto Transport Service
Back