• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body number issue

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
To someone who knows about this stuff:

I can't make any sense of these body numbers. The car is an original one owner (title in hand is dated 1974) 1973 RR 400 4-speed from Canada. Anyway, both the rad support and the cowl body numbers are the same, only problem is they don't match the VIN. The stamping for both is R5 899086 Which should be from Canada, 1975 the 799086 car scheduled for production. I know they didn't make this car in 1975 and that they didn't make 700K back then. The VIN tag on the dash is fine but is a 2 instead of an 8, the title has it as a 2 also.
Anyone know why the body number would be off?
RR #2.jpeg
RR #1.JPG

one digit on the vin is different?
its probably just a factory error

Hung over Monday, it should read R3 299086. Just trying to clarify before I sink some $$$ into a restoration. I think it is just an error as you say, but the next buyer may need some more facts. I does have a partial (what's left of it) build sheet but is missing the areas that would have relevant numbers on it.

I have seen several cars that are similar to what you describe. I have seen cars with no body codes etc. Anybody with knowledge of mopars will understand this. As you say, that body style did not exist in 1975.

Unless they changed methods in the 70s, the numbers won't match the VIN... It's coded differently..for example here is my 68 VIN:
20180611_132949.jpg

The stamping on the cowl support, as you can see only certain numbers from the VIN are included...( sorry it's upside down LOL )
20180611_132936.jpg

(G8R2I9086)

As I understand, it's so law enforcement could ID stolen parts/vehicles... The factory never dreamed motorheads like us would be trying to match pieces together 50 years later haha

Unless they changed methods in the 70s, the numbers won't match the VIN... It's coded differently..for example here is my 68 VIN:
View attachment 615387

The stamping on the cowl support, as you can see only certain numbers from the VIN are included...( sorry it's upside down LOL )View attachment 615388
(G8R2I9086)

As I understand, it's so law enforcement could ID stolen parts/vehicles... The factory never dreamed motorheads like us would be trying to match pieces together 50 years later haha

1969 and newer, the last 6 of the vin should match the body stampings.

1969 and newer, the last 6 of the vin should match the body stampings.
Okay so my year was the cutoff for the old system, got it... Thank you for that info!

1968 body codes were a one year only deal. They differed slightly from 1967 and prior, and totally from 1969 and up.

Auto Transport Service
Back