• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

body on frame clean up and paint ?

blazer 2010

Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
I was doing some quarter panel replacing on my 67 and removed the gas tank so I don,t explode and decided I might as well replace gas and brake lines and exhaust,{what next} and bottom of floor is pretty nice with usual dirt and surface rust.I was wondering what paint seems to work the best on the frame and belly of the car.Before it was just the good old oil based rustoleum paint but now there are to many choices.What has worked for you.Of coarse I will clean up the frame and belly the best I can with the usual arsenal of tools.

If that case, I'd use some sort of bed-liner like material.

Attachments

• 0606122139a.jpg
    0606122139a.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 437
I came across people using oil based rustoleum with hardener added,sounded not too bad, anyone try this.

For what it's worth don't bother with a body color bottom if you run open headers. The soot and dirt are 10 times worse to clean up than a street car. I have to wash the bottom of my racer every 2-3 races.
Doug

If that case, I'd use some sort of bed-liner like material.

You can even get a "Schutz" type gun to spray it on with the appearance of sheetrock wall texture. Check with an automotive paint supplier. They are cheap.

I you are removing loose rust "the best you can" and will leave surface rust on things I would use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer with a topcoat of some type..
I don't like coatings on something that hasn't been taken down to clean metal, because something might be going on under it later that I can't see.

What is the end goal of your car and how are you going to use it?
..Most of our cars never see harsh weather so paint choice isn't critical.
..why not put it back the way it was..prime and overspray similar to the factory?

I like to clean off the surface rust best I can, spray with a phosphoric based product called Ospho. be WARNED< it is acid based, needs to fully dry/cure before applying any type paint/primer. test a spot for compatability. does a real good job for me to neutralize rust, without being a "rust prohibitor" product.

then, compatable epoxy type primer, or I have had good results with a simple oil based
tractor type"enamel. years back, I have had trouble topcoatin rustoleum with non rustoleum paint. havn't had to resolt to their products since.

the factory simply dipped the body in a vat of primer, when they painted the car, it went up under the bottom a little. I still like the bottoms of my cars undercoated, the BodySchultz undercoat is what I like.

black bottom looks nice, but screams G M GUY like a underhood black!!! sorry! IMHO

My Charger was not undercoated when new and the floor pans looked really nice when I got the car in 2000. I know that they are not supposed to be fully painted but I love the look.

Attachments

• 1-18 H.jpg
    1-18 H.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 1-18 G.jpg
    1-18 G.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 294
black bottom looks nice, but screams G M GUY like a underhood black!!! sorry! IMHO[/QUOTE]

.... weren't gm mostly red oxide primer underneath ?

black bottom looks nice, but screams G M GUY like a underhood black!!! sorry! IMHO[/QUOTE]
Black is no different on the bottom than body color which is incorrect also. Nothing looks worse than a nice bright undercarriage that's dirty.
Doug

black bottom looks nice, but screams G M GUY like a underhood black!!! sorry! IMHO
Black is no different on the bottom than body color which is incorrect also. Nothing looks worse than a nice bright undercarriage that's dirty.
Doug[/QUOTE]

I agree somewhat, and understand. but if a person is hell bent to paint the bottom, 99% of the mopar crowd will say paint the bottom body color! like we always say, " its your car do what ya like, but ask my opinion and I will voice it!" ha??

if I had a way to work on the bottom other than jack stands and laying on my 67 yr old back!! I clean mine best I can, treat the rusty metal, prime it, a little oil based paint, and undercoat it! all mine came undercoated factory anyway. just me. I drive mine, never been into showing.

JMHO, but it depends on what stage of the build / restoration your at.
If you are working on a bare body , no tank , k member, rear diff & springs , T bars ect then you can do a proper job of prep and then paint. If its still got all the parts under it and you have to degrease and mask up everything I think your better off with the under coat or bedliner, { way less over spray to deal with } the bedliner kits now come in a neutral base and can be tinted to your body paint code if you wish to go that route.

One more thing I will toss out is {Tin foil} Aluminum Kitchen wrap ect. grab several boxes / rolls of the cheap stuff if you have much masking to do, that stuff will fold / wrap around trannys, drive shaft, , tanks , shocks , K members , springs, T bars ect without having to try to tape up the underside of a car if the body / bottom is not bare.

Not into a full resto,just trying to clean it up and look nice when someone looks underneath.It,s just a nice driver ,318 auto,nothing fancy .

Auto Transport Service
Back