• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bogging down once warm

With the curb idle screw turned in that far and the running condition I would suspect a plugged up carb or bad vacuum leak. With the car running, choke open slightly cover the carb air horn and see if it smooths out and speeds up.
So I spray some carb cleaner down throat. Start it up and choke is fully open. I slightly cover air horn and it sounds like it wants to die out. Once temp was close to op temp usually now would it start to bog down however it sounds okay. If it feels warmer than usually would that indicate it is too lean or too rich?

So I spray some carb cleaner down throat. Start it up and choke is fully open. I slightly cover air horn and it sounds like it wants to die out. Once temp was close to op temp usually now would it start to bog down however it sounds okay. If it feels warmer than usually would that indicate it is too lean or too rich?
Lean running motor elevates heat. As posted, there are some checks to make including possible vac leakage around the carb. Need to be careful turning the jets as you can damage them bottoming them out using force. Should have gauges for this adjustment. Carb clean-out on the car is done with engine running holding throttle plate open and working the linkage to keep it running; it will want to stall out dumping cleaner in it and be patient not dumping too much in to stall the motor. Cleaner is a lucky resort..

I've had this happen with an overheating coil. Points gap was totally closed up and caused the coil to overheat once the car warmed up. The result was bogging and poor idle. Would die everytime i pulled up to a stop sign unless i kept the rpms up. Oil was leaking from the coil when i pulled the plug out of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back