• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgenson Conversion

Mike67

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
So a month or so ago, I bought the PST 16:1 manual steering box to upgrade my steering....Fast forward the other day I purchased the March Revolver Serpentine kit which comes a gm style pump and remote reservoir. I was just going to save it for later as the kit can run with out the pump.
So I started reading about the Borg unit being smaller, new, not rebuilt. ..has anyone done this swap in a b body? I would think clearence be favorable...but after reading @5.7hemi post of it in his Dart I'm wondering... ???
Thanks

Last edited:
I have the QA1 k member and Dougs 2" headers...

Yep, lots of clearance! I don't have it on the road yet though, so can't give you a road review.

Yep, lots of clearance! I don't have it on the road yet though, so can't give you a road review.

Could you post a pic? And are you running headers?
All of the review of those that did install it say its like driving a modern car...but the ci s have been clearence related... scared to pull the trigger on a $600 box when I have $300 tied up in a new manual...
Thanks

Lots of clearance with headers!

img_20170421_171600809-jpg.jpg

Post 1139

This is a 69 GTX 2" header tubes I have a min. 1" clearance everywhere. No dinging header tubes.

Last edited:
Well, I put this kit on my 64 Sport Fury. While it has a different engine location, there are some things that might apply. I had alot of interference at the steering box/header. It was the 2 center tubes. For me, it was the most forward center tube. Remember, the input shaft has to be in the same location as the original. Once finally installed, it would squeal like a pig when turning all the way to one side or another. I tried several different pumps to correct it. I ended up using the new pump from Bergmans, along with the very expensive stock style coupler. Still wasn't right. There are 2 different fittings available from Bergmans. They were sure it wouldn't matter that I had the smaller fitting. Well, that seemed to be the final part I needed. No more issues.
The ps pump you have would kill a stock Mopar box. Way too much pressure. You can possibly use your pump since the Borgeson steering box uses higher pressure. You might want a pressure adjuster valve. I think you can get one from Speedway. Talk to Bergmans. They are the only ones who sell the fittings that work with Mopar hoses. Again, your situation might not need that fitting. Bergmans gave me a good price, and worked with me to resolve my issues.
It works well, but there's some hissing traveling up the steering column. Same as my Comet with the same setup. I think a rubber isolator between the box, and the column would fix it.

Thanks fellas! This is good stuff!!!
@furyus I looked at the Bergman stuff very nice and price reflects it. I will be calling them as they seemed to have everything.
Awesome pic @69 GTX, i think i will have plenty of room and was definitely curious about psi requirement and if I would need a regulator, I still need to call March and see what those pumps are rated for...
Thanks again!

Mike

I would be interested in that pst box if you want to get rid of it. Would be a while before I have he funds for it unfortunately, but if you’re willing to hold onto it for a while keep me in mind.

The b/e bodies have more room than the a body. I also have a QA1 k frame, so things might not be exactly set as a factory k frame might be. The Borgenson box is nice, but I’d use a u-joint instead of the coupler, so much easier and a cleaner look not too mention a tad bit more room between it and headers.

ake sure to get the flow control valve for the saginaw so its not so twitchy on the road. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400651963891?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

For my 71 roadrunner, the very same car your running,
I have the boreson with the saginaw pump(with flow control valve changed) and a small ps cooler, smaller steering wheel(350mm), fast ratio arms, sector support kit and idler roller bearing kit all from firm feel. http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_parts.html
I'm not sure if your planning to do fast ratio arms or not, but you should weld up the ps box support on your kmember or add braces to strengthen it up, make sure you use loctite on the bolts that bolt the boregson to the kmember, the sector support do help keep everything nice and straight and tight. I'm telling you all of this because my first go round with the boregson was not pretty- there was so much stress on the box with the faster ratio arms and the fast ratio of the boregson that I cracked my pump in two spots. And when I moved the steering from side to side, I could see the boregson move up and down inside the bolt holes that hold the damn thing in place. Now with everything I have, nothing moves and the steering is beautiful, My turning radius from lock to lock is about 1.8 turns, I highly recommend it!

Just pulled the trigger. Im going to start mocking up my k member here shortly!!!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back