• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bowl venting a carter competition series?

junior340

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
My twin 500s have blocked offs where I believe I could add bowl vents, has anyone tried tried this?
I do have some vapor lock on super hot days so trying to do what I can.
Right center top of carb is where I am thinking it should go maybe with some tubes off a couple junk later carbs?
20210321_181854.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought. How thick are your base gaskets? I used to have a similar issue until I went with a 9266 Eddy insulator.

Your bowls are already venting. Adding an external vent will do nothing.

Just a thought. How thick are your base gaskets? I used to have a similar issue until I went with a 9266 Eddy insulator.
I put put the moroso ones, that are two gaskets sandwiching a aluminum plate. I imagine they do help some. Many moons agoI had "1 inch plates but it ran bad so I didn't want to retune so I took them out.

Your bowls are already venting. Adding an external vent will do nothing.
Can you explain where they are vented, I am eager to learn. I bought these carbs new back in 1982 and love them. Just trying to improve where I can for the heat I recently moved to.

the vent holes are next to the step-up spring/piston covers on top of the carbs. using a return line off the carbs will end vapor lock; providing that the fuel pump is up to spec. adding another vent will do nothing for vapor lock.

If you're using a conventional inline fuel filter, have you considered installing a factory style vapor separator if you have provisions for a 1/4" return line to the tank?

All I've used is a 1/2" wood spacer and a valley pan with the exhaust crossover blocked off. Never had any problems with vapor lock/evaporation.
20210401_181630.jpg

20210401_181805.png

Can you explain where they are vented, I am eager to learn. I bought these carbs new back in 1982 and love them. Just trying to improve where I can for the heat I recently moved to.
so what do you disagree about?

Oh man! Where the heck were all you guys when I was getting beat up over this concerning a Thermoquad, a couple weeks ago?????

Just to clear the air, I never hit the stupid disagree button.

I am really interested in learning hear.
Thank you for all who are trying to help.
Andy

If you're using a conventional inline fuel filter, have you considered installing a factory style vapor separator if you have provisions for a 1/4" return line to the tank?
I put one on my buddies 69 R/T and thought hey why not on mine.
Thanks for reminding me.

What happened to the old heat shield. It got thrown away because every time went to work on the motor it was in the way. Well had to make one and put on a 440 With two holey double pumper's and that solved the problem. Maybe rap your inlet tubes with fiber glass spark plug rap's. It might not look cool but may solve the problem with fuel getting too hot.

What happened to the old heat shield. It got thrown away because every time went to work on the motor it was in the way. Well had to make one and put on a 440 With two holey double pumper's and that solved the problem. Maybe rap your inlet tubes with fiber glass spark plug rap's. It might not look cool but may solve the problem with fuel getting too hot.
Yes, if you look close in pic i tried some thermal wrap near heater hoses but not all the way.
Maybe wrap the whole thing?

Auto Transport Service
Back