• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BOX or BULD ?

wedge69

Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
Ok so I am looking to put a 499 or a 500 CUI RB motor in my runner. I am going to use my own intake system and have a doner motor as of rite now. Would like aluminum heads and so on. I was looking at stroker kits and complete long blocks. Wanted to see what my Mopar Bros think ?
Better to buld from scratch or by a complete motor ??
Alot of them out there so you realy need to pick and choise !
Let me get some thoughts on this please. Also recomendations on who you think has the best bang for the buck !?!?
I have always done my raceing engines in the past but with the machine work costs going up and so on some times it looks good to just get one done.

I don't like most "crate engines" much myself, I actually like to know, "what all parts is in my stuff & how it's assembled & who assembled it", there are kits thru www.440source.com {I know some people don't like them, but they have some 100% Made in the USA stuff too, I've used a couple of different stroker crank kits & various parts from them, with good customer service & good quality, especially if it's not going to be an all out race car} & many parts from Mancini Racing that are pretty fair priced... If you go with a crate engine stay away from the "deals", they use crap/cheap parts, to be able to sell them cheap... Use a reputable Mopar Engine builder that will give you some kind of parts & workmanship warrantee/guarantee... Allot depends on your budget, your knowledge base, your parts sourcing ability, your ability to come up with a good combo, the tools available & especially a good machinist you trust {not just some parts store, local yokel}, to do the balancing, line boring, grinding, boring with deck/torque plates & block &/or heads work... IMHFO nothing should be ran Out of The Box, everything should be gone thru, heads, block, valve train stuff, hardware etc.... IQ52 is a member here, he's a professional engine builder, Mopar head guru & has a in house dyno, if your looking to buy a complete engine or long block with maybe some of your parts sent to him, for him to assemble... It's not just throwing something together, if you want it done 100% correct/right, it takes time... You have to pay for that time & knowledge/tool, if you don't have the knowledge or tools/machines to be able to do it yourself... I would highly recommend IQ52; Jim & Cody LaRoy, LaRoys Engines out of Challis Idaho... you can Google it I'm sure, he may even chime in here...

I'm sure there are the exception to the rule but I'd stay away from "allot of the crate/ala carte, type engine deals out there"... just my $0.02 cents

spend a little more the 1st time, instead of saving a few bucks & having to spend a bunch more $$$ latter, because you wanted to be cheap or get a deal....

Great Info !! Thanks I will look into it some more .

I say build it that way you know what's going in it. Or if you have it built then use a shop that you know and can trust.

I have used Kellog cranks in my Hemi's cause I had them laying around. They where made 30 years ago. All the cranks are coming as twist forgings from China. Some are being finished here and others are coming from China finished. Rods are the same deal. if you buy a new crank, rods and block from lets say world castings your looking at 5500.00 to 6500.00 with Diamond Pistons. How does that compare to 440 Source? All these companies have to be making decent stuff now since everything is done on CNC, very few are hand finished.

Auto Transport Service
Back