• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bracket above exhaust Tips

Macdon221

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
I have seen this bracket above the exhaust tips on some cars (68/69)...and not on others.

What is the purpose of the bracket and on what car applications? What was the original finish?

Thanks

F5910D21-35E6-4AE1-9328-7466776DC07B.jpeg

Looks like it's for the exhaust tips. Factory tips had a tab that slid into a slot in a rubber insulator.

exhaust tip..jpg

Looks like you have the tabs on the tips but no hanger. Try TTI or maybe Classic Industries. You didn't say what kind of car.

The picture above is an example. The picture actually has the rubber insulator that the tab slips into. The piece i am referring to is the U shaped bracket. Thats the piece i am looking for information on. They are 2 different pieces.

Those brackets are a Charger only thing as far as I know. I've owned 2 1969 models and they both had them. I don't believe anyone is reproducing them.

hunt2elk...ok. That sheds a little more light on it. Again the picture above is just an example..but a charger. My 68 charger does not have them...that is why I am wondering what application years they were on, or if they were model specific?

I had a R/T and 383 car, so probably not model specific. @Richard Cranium would know if they were supposed to be on 68 models.

That is the same piece? I thought it was just a skinny u shaped bracket.

It’s the support brace for the tip hanger bracket. 68 chargers had them originally. There is a tab on the bracket that fits into a slot in the brace. Cars without chrome tips or single exhaust cars probably didn’t have the support braces I’m guessing.

hunt2elk...ok. That sheds a little more light on it. Again the picture above is just an example..but a charger. My 68 charger does not have them...that is why I am wondering what application years they were on, or if they were model specific?
68-70 charger specific part...

They were natural steel and the bolts were black phosphate......

Last edited:
And the next obvious question...if Charger specific...what were their purpose?

And the next obvious question...if Charger specific...what were their purpose?
Exhaust tip hanger bracket for the chrome exhaust tips and for tie down during transit......

There is no "IF", they are charger specific ONLY....

Auto Transport Service
Back