• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake and Axle Identification - Mystery Axle

tjf1980

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
Getting the rear brakes up and going on my 1968 Sport Satellite. Manual drum brakes. No rear axle when I started. Installed the 8 3/4" axle from my '68 Satellite 4 door donor. I see now it's not the original axle since the tee is out on the tube, as I understand it. So from looking through the CI catalog, I think it can be narrowed down to being a '70 axle since the tee is on the tube and not the newer "V" shape?

If it's any help, I finally figured out the wheel cylinders are Raybestos WC37053. Big mounting bolts and the shape fit my backing plate cutout perfectly.

Here's Inline Tube's rear line part for a '70 b-body https://www.inlinetube.com/products/dbb70r1 . It doesn't look like the right side line will work with the 90 deg bend at the T but sometimes their pics are a little misleading. For $30 I'd rather buy but can always make my own. Looks like my '68 hose has enough length to work.

Also my parking brakes have been cut in the multiple axles swaps by POs. Will a 1966-70 front and both rears cables complete this? MB2318A, 19A and 20A per CI catalog. Along with a clip and two equalizers they sell in the hardware section.

Any help identifying good make/model for parts reference appreciated. Got some casting numbers in the pic, let me know if there is any other identifying marks could help.

IMG_20220117_164815632.jpg

I've got a 67 Charger rear end housing in my 64 and the vent tube is in the same location. Also measuring your flange to flange distance and perch to perch distance will help narrow it down too. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Somewhere on the site or someone on here has a complete listing of 8.750 housings by length and year ! Just ask , they will come up with the info , good people here ! JC

Somewhere on the site or someone on here has a complete listing of 8.750 housings by length and year ! Just ask , they will come up with the info , good people here ! JC
Thanks for that lead. I'll go search for it.

I've got a 67 Charger rear end housing in my 64 and the vent tube is in the same location. Also measuring your flange to flange distance and perch to perch distance will help narrow it down too. Hope this helps.
That throws what little I know out the window. I've read that if the vent is on the tube, it's after '68. Good to know.

Auto Transport Service
Back