• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Booster Mounting Info Help Needed

Pugly

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
I bought that 66 Satellite off of the classifieds and I am trying to get the brakes working. The PO put a Aftermarket 8" power booster on it and I would like to go back to a stock set up. The have the booster and master cylinder combo available online and local but I need to know how they bolt to the firewall before I purchase one. The 8" booster has a bracket that spaces it out from the firewall. Does anyone know if the stock one is supposed to have a bracket or does it bolt directly to the firewall?

Here is a picture of what I have,... you can kind of see the bracket.
DSCN1397.jpg

The online pictures look like this for the aftermarket one:
mopar_bendix_booster.jpg

and like this for the "factory one"
$(KGrHqJHJDQE+(W!qduGBP2847ydmg~~60_12.jpg

It doesn't look like the same bolt pattern and/or maybe the booster needs a spacer. I am pretty sure my car originally came with the non power single cylinder...

Got any pictures of mounting or how it mounts.

The factory power brake booster bolts directly to the firewall and uses a bellcrank linkage on the inside of the firewall to attach to the brake pedal.

The factory power brake booster bolts directly to the firewall and uses a bellcrank linkage on the inside of the firewall to attach to the brake pedal.

Acutally takes a power backing plate on the F/W and then the bell crank. Yours looks to still have the plate but manual is different than power for pretty much 62-74

Attachments

• Brake plates 62-5B.jpg
    Brake plates 62-5B.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 820
Rolling Thunder is correct and also the plate that goes between the booster and the firewall has the hole more in the middle for the booster where the non-booster plate has the hole more towards the bottom. You can modify the plate you have are find a plate off 66-70 power brake car.

moparmarks beat me to it.

So there is something Under the dash that connects the booster arm to the pedal?

I am used to old chebies where the rod from the booster or cylinder rod hooks directly to the pedal arm. Mine right now has the inside rod hooking directly to the pedal.

Edit....
I went online and found an old parts diagram, it shows some boosters being mounted on brackets and others bolted directly to the firewall. I wonder if they were different for different engines, maybe for valve cover clearance?

Ya abit different than chevy. Heres the bell crank for power booster.

Attachments

• Brake linkage BE power.jpg
    Brake linkage BE power.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 684
Goes on the inside under the dash. Big silver bolt goes to pedal. long bolt goes to pedal housing and the open arms go to the booster rod. Pic is upside down to actual install

Booster sits lower on F/W than the manual cylinder. Both use the same pedal.
The aftermarker Mopar booster like yours have the bell crank on the outside of the wall. Least the ones I've used.

Interesting. I am pretty sure my car doesn't have that. It does seem to have an arm on the outside of the car like the second picture shows. I am going to go take a closer look tonight when I get home. I looked yesterday trying to find some kind of pedal adjustment.

This is probably why the drum brakes don't work to well under panic braking.

The pic you posted and yours are close the not the same. Yours has a GM master and may not have the crank. The one in the other pic has the crank on the outside inside the bracket.
Anywho you need the crank and power plate to do the factory setup.
Also different booster for disc than drum. Using a drum booster with disc gives the no panic brakes issuse.

I got drums all around. I was trying to find a front disc set up and the parts to swap the booster out to be correct.

There's a guy in Missouri (Cossuth & Son's) (?) who has a yard with a bunch of mopars, he is trying to piece me together something, says A body spindles and stuff will fit, 73-up but I will still need the other parts for the booster.

You know any used places I can buy the parts from? I can get a remanded booster but need the other parts to make it fit.

Booster sits lower on F/W than the manual cylinder. Both use the same pedal.
The aftermarker Mopar booster like yours have the bell crank on the outside of the wall. Least the ones I've used.

That's actually incorrect the hole for power brake booster push rod is more in the middle of the plate and the hole for the master cyl (non-power brake) plate is right at the bottom. The booster sits higher than the master cyl on a non-power brake car.

I have coverted two 66 belvederes to power disk brakes and I used all factory parts which included the bendix power booster.

But that's on the outside of the firewall, yes?
You may find this interesting.
Hemi cars with power brakes did have the bellcrank outside of the firewall. It was similuar to what you have and it used the non-power brake booster plate. I have one of each

You may find this interesting.
Hemi cars with power brakes did have the bellcrank outside of the firewall. It was similuar to what you have and it used the non-power brake booster plate. I have one of each

The Bendix Hemi booster is a totally different setup than the Midland Ross that he needs. Yes they sit higher and on a bracket. The Midlands and the larger pancake Bendix units sit lower. If it matters, I've done way more than 2 conversions. More like 20 something :toothy5:

Well this is what I have underneath. Remember my car is a 66 and came without power brakes.
I guess that hole on the bottom of the plate is where the crank would attach. I got a 55 Belvedere also that I put the Mancini Manual brake master cylinder on and ran the rod straight to the pedal. I am thinking it might be best for this application if I can't find the parts to convert. Mopar parts down here are scarce.
DSCN1416.jpg

Pretty typical aftermarket setup. Probably has a crank on the outside.
Ok see the shaft that the pedal swings on? Right in front of it there should be another set of holes in the housing. The long bolt of the crank goes there. The crank hangs down. Large silver bolt on the crank goes into that same hole on the pedal where the rod is now. Then the open ears on the crank at the bottom goes to the rod on the booster. Actually pretty simple. If you look at this fastory setup you'll see that the Midland Ross booster sits lower.

The Bendix Hemi booster is a totally different setup than the Midland Ross that he needs. Yes they sit higher and on a bracket. The Midlands and the larger pancake Bendix units sit lower. If it matters, I've done way more than 2 conversions. More like 20 something :toothy5:

I was talking about the bellcrank outside of the firewall on hemi cars was similiar to what he had. The hemi bendix booster is different than the non hemi bendix booster but I'm sure you know that since you done 20 conversions.

The booster sits higher on the plate than the hole in master cyl on a non-power brake car on 66-70 b-body that's why it has a bellcrank. I have 3 four doors b-bodies with power brakes I use for parts car if you need a picture of the booster set up.
I don't really want to get in a pissing contest.

Auto Transport Service
Back